How do I change password when connected to Remote Desktop?

Hi,

I can't seem to find "Change Password" when connected to Windows Server 2012 with Remote Desktop. It's totally missing.

Thanks.

December 10th, 2012 4:59am

Hello,

Press CRTL+ALT+END

this is in essence the same thing as CTRL+ALT+DEL, it will display the login security screen where you can change the password, lock the computer, shut down, etc.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2012 5:13am

Hi,

I agree with Falcon, you can press Ctrl+Alt+End to change the password for the remote computer. In addition, based on my test, when the password is changed, the session will not disconnect and you need to type the new password the next time you connect to this server.

Hope this helps.

December 11th, 2012 6:21am

I know this is an old thread, but my question is pretty much the same.

I was wondering if there's a user friendly method to change the password.
Reason why I'm asking, I don't expect users to remember the CTRL+ALT+END combination if they're required to only change their password once every few months.

In server 2008R2 there was the Windows Security -> Change password.
Isn't there a similar method for 2012? Or commandline I could run (so I can create a shortcut for users)?

Kind regards,
Peter

April 7th, 2013 8:11pm

I have to agree, CTRL + ALT + END is not an option if you e.g. have to use "HOP servers" (RDP connection from another RDP session).

This is quite common scenario, and if user is not local admin, he is not able to reset password as well...

Regards,

Jan

May 23rd, 2013 3:02pm

Hello,

You can open a command prompt and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 if you have sufficient privileges to access users and passwords MMC.

Alternatively, try the command net user username newpassword

May 24th, 2013 1:03am

Unfortunately userpasswords2 can't change domain accounts. And I guess "net user * /domain" is rather reset instead of change?

May 24th, 2013 8:39am

Press WindowsKey+R (or get the Run box open) then type OSK (It will open on-screen-keyboard in your remote-remote session). Or open on-screen-keyboard in different way.
Then press on your physical keyboard (not on that on screen!!) ctrl and alt keys. Using your mouse tick DEL key on On-screen-keyboard.
Works well for me :)
January 13th, 2014 11:34am

We had the same issue. Our workaround has been to create a vbs-script and add a shortcut to this cscript into the redicted startmenu of all users.

The script:

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.WindowsSecurity

• Proposed as answer by Peter Elbertse Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:13 PM
January 13th, 2014 2:35pm

Thanks so much "Peter Elbertse". The VB Script works perfect for password change. Cnt/Alt/Del is for local account password and not to change password on remote server via RDP.
January 14th, 2014 3:36pm

If you want to reset password under RD Web access, you can able to perform that using Password reset option in window server 2012. You can refer further to  this article for more information.

Hope it helps!
January 16th, 2014 6:05am

HI Team ,

I am working currently server 2003 via remote but server administrator not accepted my question is how to change administrator password via remotely because my server currently another country . Please help any one ..

thanks

March 11th, 2014 9:01pm

Hello,

You can open a command prompt and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2 if you have sufficient privileges to access users and passwords MMC.

Alternatively, try the command net user username newpassword

March 16th, 2014 9:41am

Did anyone consider how this would impact RDS users before rolling it out to millions of people?

Good God, I would  think that after 20 years of doing this you might start getting it right.  I'm not asking for perfections but man, you're trying to roll out something new every 18 months without even fixing the crap in place. 

People are not going to ride this train all the way into the dirt..

March 16th, 2014 9:44am

Press WindowsKey+R (or get the Run box open) then type OSK (It will open on-screen-keyboard in your remote-remote session). Or open on-screen-keyboard in different way.
Then press on your physical keyboard (not on that on screen!!) ctrl and alt keys. Using your mouse tick DEL key on On-screen-keyboard.

I like this solution the most !

Very elegant !!

Very easy to explain to others !

• Proposed as answer by Somesh_SN Friday, September 19, 2014 10:46 AM
March 20th, 2014 7:55am

Great tip! Akward, but it surely works!

Thanks

April 3rd, 2014 9:35am

A easier way is press Win + Aly + End, try it. Works perfect.
  • Edited by Mac_Ma Tuesday, April 08, 2014 8:42 AM
  • Proposed as answer by Chamin Galappaththi Tuesday, August 26, 2014 9:24 AM
April 8th, 2014 8:41am

I agree, who decides to use "touch screen" UI on a server???
May 8th, 2014 7:46pm

This truly shows how bad microsoft is. I mean, seriously, you remove the ability to change the password from the user account interface where it clearly states that you will be able to make changes to your account. What changes can you make from this screen that any user would typically make? The fact that there is even a thread dedicated to this is just irritating.

Here is a pro tip for ALL microsoft developers:

Stop reinventing the interfaces

Second pro tip:

Since we all know you can't follow tip one, give people the ability to undo whatever it is that you are about to implement that everyone will hate, but you have justified, in your mind "will be super intuitive and user friendly", because you will be wrong about your assumptions, every time.

Plus, all of the answers are CTRL + ALT + END   ......What about Mac users remoting in????? Just plain stupid UX/UI
May 16th, 2014 8:51pm

Mac Via RDP for me this works

CTRL + ALT + Fn + delete

May 29th, 2014 3:47pm

Thanks
June 1st, 2014 9:43am

Hi.

I am in console name HOME. From console Home i connect to Station A with remote desktop. Then I connect to station B from station A again with Remote Desktop.

Now i want to change station B password. How i can do it?

When I press ALT+CTRL+END the change password for station A appear.

Please help me.

Thanks.

August 8th, 2014 12:53pm

Not exactly a "simple" way, but you can use (in Windows 2012 R2, no Active Directory):

• Start Screen
  • Control Panel
  • Change Account Type
  • Double-Click on the User Account you want to change
  • Click Change the password

Julien

August 12th, 2014 1:14pm

Mac Via RDP for me this works

CTRL + ALT + Fn + delete

Ctrl + Alt + F'ing + Delete.... I Love IT!
August 14th, 2014 8:28pm

We had the same issue. Our workaround has been to create a vbs-script and add a shortcut to this cscript into the redicted startmenu of all users.

The script:

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.WindowsSecurity

By far the best option. I don't think most realize how simple this is. Copy the above two lines into a text file, rename to .vbs and put the shortcut in the location of your choosing, i.e. start menu or desktop, etc...
August 14th, 2014 8:29pm

Greate this is works for me Win + Alt + End
August 26th, 2014 9:25am

I'm happy to see that someone realises you don't want users to remember long key-strings and users simply want to click on a button :)
August 26th, 2014 9:32am

I had access to a Windows Server 2012 R2 using RDP in a HyperV VM s ctrl+alt+end didn't work. It was "caught" by the VM's OS.

Using your approach with the OSK works well. :-)

Thank you.

Henrik Kim

September 3rd, 2014 7:30am

Not only Mac users but what about remote administration of multiple machines?!

Anybody ever remote desktop through multiple machines? Where does your Ctrl+Alt+End key combination (that's not written anywhere on screen like an actual intuitive interface should) invoke the security screen? On your bounce box or the destination box that you actually want to change your password on?

Ctrl+Alt+End does nothing on my 2012 R2 system and Ctrl+Alt+Del is oh so helpful in saying "To use the commands available when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del, click your user tile and choose an option"

After some searching I found 2 workaround solutions at
http://superuser.com/questions/492856/how-can-i-send-a-ctrlaltdelete-through-remote-desktop-in-windows-8

1.) On the first RDP session bring up the on screen keyboard applet (Run -> osk), and click on the second (inner) RDP session, then click back to the keyboard and press CTRL ALT END with your mouse, which should send CTRL ALT END to the second RDP session - Thanks to user Matthew Lock

2.) Press Ctrl+Alt on your physical or on screen keyboard in your first session and click Del on the on screen keyboard in the second session. - Thanks to user Salsengsangma

I fully agree about what these fools get up to. I mean there's the obvious who the hell wants a "Start Menu" that takes over the whole screen? I want to see the stuff I have open while I'm choosing something else to open!@#!@# My remote server, rack of servers or cluster of VMs are not damn touch screen phones! At least there's some good options when you right click the Start button. Yay Microsoft!
September 11th, 2014 1:14am

:) that was cool! Thanks Richard!
January 19th, 2015 4:51am

OK.. Yes, CTR,ALT+END will open up the change password dialog if you have a rdp session from a real session.

I work in a VDI environment where we connect through Wyse Terminals to an RDP session into our regular workstation VM's.. We then have to remote from there to a server, which causes the CTR,ALT,END to be picked up by our workstation (because it's a remote session itself)....

What I had to do was open the on-screen-keyboard, hold CTR and ALT on the physical keyboard and click DEL in the On-screen keyboard... opens up the user pw change dialog.

January 22nd, 2015 2:53pm

Run the following oneliner:

Powershell -noprofile -nologo -noninteractive -command "(new-object -ComObject shell.application).WindowsSecurity()"

• Proposed as answer by totallycool24 Friday, April 24, 2015 3:08 PM
February 20th, 2015 10:54am

Works for me !! Thanks Megatronn !!
March 2nd, 2015 6:43pm

I found this does not work if remote desktop from another remote desktop. Richard Hlavienka on screen keyboard method works in the scenario.
March 25th, 2015 3:26pm

CTRL-ALT-END doesnt always work and the on screen keyboard just ticks people off

Peter's script is the best solution

April 8th, 2015 3:31pm

This totally works in Server 2012.  Especially when your RDP session is like 2 levels deep.

Powershell -noprofile -nologo -noninteractive -command "(new-object -ComObject shell.application).WindowsSecurity()"

Thanks.

April 24th, 2015 3:09pm

Hi,

Just want to confirm, the question on hand is "while connected to Remote Desktop". Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL will login security screen from local machine, not on remote machine.

Regards

April 29th, 2015 1:54pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find "Change Password" when connected to Windows Server 2012 with Remote Desktop. It's totally missing.

Thanks.

I am in the same situation where basically I am jumping from 1 server to another which is a Jumpbox and then I can log on to the third server.

Machine 1(My Laptop) -> Machine 2(JumpBox) -> Machine 3 (Machine which requires the password change)

Now if I press the Ctrl + Alt + End, I see a Windows Security for the Machine 2(Jumpbox) whereas I am trying to change the password for the Machine 3. Now using OSK and doing (Ctrl + Alt on physical keyboard) and click the Del on OSK to get the Windows Security which works but it's a way more tedious than pressing Ctrl, Alt Del.

Has anyone found another solution please let me know.

May 6th, 2015 11:46am

Old thread, but I'd like to add my $0.02.

If you daisy chain your RDP sessions (login to server1, then RDP to server2), you need to press ctrl-alt-end on server1 to initiate the command on server2.

If you hop to 3 computers, it gets even weirder.

Scenerio: Login to server1, RDP to server2, then RDP to server3.  Server3 is 2012 and you need to change your password there.

Solution: In the Server2 session, bring up OSK (just type OSK from the run or search box, or if on 2012 just type it anywhere on the metro interface).  press ctrl-alt-end using the OSK on server2 (use the on screen keyboard, not your physical keyboard).  This will bring up the password change dialog on server3.  Switch to that RDP session to change your password.

Maybe Microsoft will bring back the "windows security" application from Windows Server 2008 R2.  Then we won't need this on screen keyboard nonsense.

June 5th, 2015 1:28pm

Brilliant!!! Thank you
June 22nd, 2015 5:04pm

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! Sorry, I know that was obnoxious, but seriously, I couldn't figure it out. We do have a box in between us and the domain I needed to change the password on so the CTRL+ALT+END did not work.
July 3rd, 2015 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics