How do I Allow login for an existing Active Directory user?
Windows Server 2003. The user needs to login to the server and run certain software. I'm not worried about restrictions on what software can be run. I wound up responsible for this particular server, but I don't know how to perform this operation. The user is already active on the company network for years, but just got responsibility to run the software added. Thanks,Jon Jacobs This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
February 9th, 2011 3:29pm

Hi is the user supposed to run the software via RDP or is this a network application and he needs to run some administrative functions specifically for this software/app, or is he supposed to log on directly onto the server and run the software.. if so what other services are being hosted by the server e.g AD, DNS stuff likr that.. you can either use the domain admin credentials to allow him to run the software.. or if he does not have the right permissions to log on to the server , then elevate his priviledges in AD by adding him to the group domain admins or you can log on to the server as admin and give him local admin rights on the server so he can log on and peform his tasks..tech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2011 3:39pm

In AD pull up the user in question (XYZ for our discussion). If the are not an admin they will have to become one or.... You can create an administrative User in the AD for this express purpose. Create a new user (XYZ_Admin), and at that point you can limit what machines they can log into (your specific server) and even put a time limit on this specific job. Join this user to whatever group(s) needed to do the work, and then scrub the User when the job is done.
February 9th, 2011 3:52pm

The user does not neet to run administrative functions. The user should not be set up as an administrator. The particular software application is local on the server, not to be run as a network app. All the user needs to do is be able to log in to the server via Remote Desktop Connection. Once she is in, she can run the software that other users also run every once in a while. I just don't remember how I added those other users long ago. Thanks,Jon Jacobs This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
February 9th, 2011 5:03pm

Right click My Computer Select the 'Remote' tab Check the "Allow Users to connect remotely..." box Add the User using the 'Select Remote Users..." button.
February 9th, 2011 5:16pm

Yep, follow the steps Negidius mentioned and post if it worked or ddnt but i'm pretty sure it should work :)tech-nique
February 9th, 2011 5:22pm

You may need to make the user a member of the group "Remote Desktop Users", which is in the "Builtin" container in ADUC. Richard MuellerMVP ADSI
February 9th, 2011 6:20pm

Thank you. You almost got it, but it led me to the answer. I had to select Properties to see the remote tab. It did not have the ability to do what I needed, but it had a help link that told me what to do. Perhaps the steps you gave would have worked on a different version of Windows. Right click My Computer, select Manage. In the left pane select and expand Local Users and Groups. Select Groups. In the right pane double-click Remote Desktop Users. Click Add. Type in the domain name, backslash, the userid. Thanks for your help.Jon Jacobs This message was composed entirely from recycled electrons.
February 10th, 2011 9:57am

Thank you. You almost got it, but it led me to the answer. I had to select Properties to see the remote tab. It did not have the ability to do what I needed, but it had a help link that told me what to do. Perhaps the steps you gave would have worked on a different version of Windows. Glad you found what you needed.... Sorry about the almost derail though... Just did a few XPs and the instructions got stuck in my brain housing group.
February 10th, 2011 12:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics