How can we disable the automatic administrative share $ by Group Policy
Dear All I would like to StopAuto share drive C$ , D$ everytime when they login to his/her machine set control by using Grop Policy. thank you Kwan
July 13th, 2007 5:19am

You could on one machine disable them as stated below, export the key and then in a GPO import it. Disable the default sharesWindows NT and Windows 2000 open hidden shares on each installation for use by the system account. (Tip: You can view all of the shared folders on your computer by typing NET SHARE from a command prompt.) You can disable the default Administrative shares two ways. One is to stop or disable the Server service, which removes the ability to share folders on your computer. (However, you can still access shared folders on other computers.) When you disable the Server service (via Control Panel > Administration Tools > Services), be sure to click Manual or Disabled or else the service will start the next time the computer is restarted. The other way is via the Registry by editing HKeyLocal Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters. For Servers edit AutoShareServer with a REG_DWORD Value of 0. For Workstations, the edit AutoShareWks. Keep in mind that disabling these shares provide an extra measure of security, but may cause problems with applications. Test your changes in a lab before disabling these in a production environment. The default hidden shares are: Share Path and Function C$ D$ E$ Root of each partition. For a Windows2000 Professional computer, only members of the Administrators or Backup Operators group can connect to these shared folders. For a Windows2000 Server computer, members of the Server Operators group can also connect to these shared folders ADMIN$ %SYSTEMROOT% This share is used by the system during remote administration of a computer. The path of this resource is always the path to the Windows2000 system root (the directory in which Windows2000 is installed: for example, C:\Winnt). FAX$ On Windows 2000 server, this used by fax clients in the process of sending a fax. The shared folder temporarily caches files and accesses cover pages stored on the server. IPC$ Temporary connections between servers using named pipes essential for communication between programs. It is used during remote administration of a computer and when viewing a computer's shared resources NetLogon This share is used by the Net Logon service of a Windows2000 Server computer while processing domain logon requests. PRINT$ %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS Used during remote administration of printers.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2007 5:34am

How to import to gpo Thank you so much.
July 13th, 2007 5:58am

mufc wrote: How to import to gpo Thank you so much. You can refer to following article: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/ArticleID/44621/44621.html?Ad=1
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2007 2:00am

Dear Sir i change both Key in Server than from Group policy in computer Setting >>Preferences>>window Setting>>security Setting > Registry>> New>> Registry Wizerd i add those both Key "AutoShareServer " and AutoShareWks" wiht value 0 but when i applied on OU it has no effect and stile the hidden share show enable C$ if some one succeffully implements pleas share it my Network PlateForm is w2k8 Starderd Edition 64 bits thansk Admin
September 26th, 2012 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics