How can i limit user's concurrent logins to a domain
Hello I wound like to limit user's concurrent logins to a domain so they can login only from one client simultaneously I've seen that LimitLogin does that great, but for windows server 2000-2003 I'm using Server 2008 R2 With windows 7 and XP clients is there any solution for me as well? Thanks, Mosh
September 16th, 2010 1:42pm

There is no Microsoft official articles that states that Limit logins is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2. Based on internet searches, I did not found a similar tool for Windows Server 2008 R2. I recommand to you to post in this Microsoft forum "The Official Scripting Guys Forum!" to check if you are able to do what you want throughout a script. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/threads This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 16th, 2010 4:07pm

will do thanks
September 17th, 2010 1:09pm

Hi, Limitlogin basically uses logon and logoff script to count the logon times. It’s possible to customize new scripts for Windows Server 2008, but it seems a big project. If you or anyone would share your outcome, it’s very appreciated. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 21st, 2010 3:39am

in fact, what would be the real reason to limit the users this way at all? roaming profiles are discouraged at all for instance, so what else does you any problems. maybe we could offer a better solution than trying to limit the logons. ondrej.
September 21st, 2010 5:24pm

Hi Moshikoy! LimitLogin is not compatible with Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2. You should give a look to UserLock (fully compatible with Windows Server 2008, including R2 and Windows XP and 7 clients), that allows IT security teams to: - prevent or limit simultaneous logon (same ID, same password), per user or user group - record all session logging and locking events in an ODBC database (Access, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL,…) for future reference - monitor user sessions in realtime (who is connected, from which workstation(s), for how long…) - remotely lock, logoff and reset all interactive sessions - define working hours and/or maximum session time for protected users and disconnect users with prior warning outside of the defined timeframe(s) and/or when time is up - restrict user group’s network access per workstation or IP range - notify all users prior to gaining access to a system with a tailor-made warning message (legal disclaimer, etc.) - … Note to Ondrej: you will find my thoughts about why is it important to control concurrent logins to a Windows network in this whitepaper titled "Eight Holes in Windows Login Controls" Hope it will help.Franois Amigorena President & CEO IS Decisions (Security Software) http://www.isdecisions.com
September 22nd, 2010 3:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics