How can a sound control file (or any other originally installed file) just disappear
About five weeks ago, the speaker icon disappeared from my task bar. Without it, it means I have no way of controlling sound volume without going into the control panel. I have tried everything suggested to me:#1: Go to control panel, then check on box to place icon on tool bar. I did this, only to be told that the program needed for this was not installed on my computer (!)#2: Go to Microsoft update site to see if I can download a copy of the program, called"WinVol32.exe". There, I was informed that this was unavailable for download, but that it should be on my hard drive (normally at C:\Windows\System32). I was told to run the program by typing in "winvol32.exe", but that gave me a message that the program could not be found.#3: Ran a full search of the hard drive for "WinVol32.exe", only to be told it was not on my computer.Well, obviously it used to be on my computer! So, this raises two questions: first, how and why did it just disappear in the first place? Second, and more important, how do I get it back?
April 9th, 2009 6:43am

Hi, Are you running Windows Server 2003 or 2008? Is it a 32bit or 64bit system? Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 10th, 2009 5:41am

hi there, In addition to tim's question , are you having microsoft custom sound card driver or are you using 3rd party sound card driver , in either of the case , please try to update the sound card depending upon the OS version and check . Also try updating the driver and check if that fix the problem. sainath Windows Driver Development
April 10th, 2009 6:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics