How can I tell what type of CA I have?
How can I tell what type of CA I have? I've just inherited a PKI infrastructure that is a little convoluded. I need to upgrade hardware and possibly re-architect this thing. I need to verify what I'm dealing with. I vaguely remember a way to tell what type of CA it is. Standalone vs. Enterprise or whatever. I believe it was the registry key Type in My Computer\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CertSvc but I cannot find any info. on this. Is there a way to figure out what kind of CA you have? Thank you.
March 31st, 2010 8:42pm

Open Certification Authority MMC snap-in. Expand CA node. If you see 'Certificate Templates' node, this is Enterprise CA. If this node does not exist, this is Standalone CA. Also you may check your referenced registry key. There should be REG_DWORD 'CAType' property name. The following values indicates: 0 — this is Enterprise Root CA 1 — Enterprise Subordinate CA 3 — Standalone Root CA 4 — Standalone Subordinate CA 5 — Unknown CA type.http://www.sysadmins.lv
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2010 9:18pm

The information Vadmins is referencing could be retrieved from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\CertSvc\Configuration\ CAName ] As mentioned above, look for the DWORD "CAType" Or you could run this from cmd: certutil -getreg ca\CAType
April 1st, 2010 12:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics