How can I sum up varying values of a field if a condition is true

Hello,

I want to sum up possible different values of a field if a condition is true. For example:

=Sum(IIF(Fields!status.Value = "Open",0, (IIF(Fields!status.Value = "Waiting",0, (IIF(Fields!status.Value = "Closed",0, (IIF(Fields!status.Value = "Completed",0, Fields!status.Value))))))))

I want a numeral count if the values of a field (Fields!status.Value) are Open, Waiting, Closed or Completed.

The code above is giving me an error.

Please help

February 20th, 2015 9:41pm

Hi Sanjb,

Syntactically,the code is okay.I suspect the problem lies in different return types, depending on the outcome of the branch.

According to the code snippet, I assume that the"status"field contains string values {"Open", "Waiting","Closed","Completed"}. What would be the value in case of the last Else-condition included in the field "status"?

Only if this value is a number, you can evaluate it using aggregate functions. You should then for safety's sake add a cast to a number type (eg CInt(Fields!status.Value)).

In addition, I suggest to provideanull checking(IsNothing(Fields!status.Value)).Furthermore,it would beuseful wrapping the entire checking-conditionina calculatedfield and usethe Sum-functiononthe calculated fieldthatshould containthe number as a result of the checking-condition.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Thomas

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2015 12:16pm

Thanks alot Thomas for your help,

The value in case of the last Else-condition is NULL, "Open", "Waiting","Closed","Completed" are the only possible values.

I actually used a tablix matrix to design the report. I have three row groups, Region, State and Branch.

So, the fourth column should now be a column where a count is done for all the Cases logged in each branch, that was why the calculated field became compulsory.

For example, the Northern region has 4 states which in turn has 6 branches each. In each branch, there should be a total count of cases logged in that branch, that's where the expression(calculated field) becomes compulsory.

I would really appreciate your help...

February 22nd, 2015 12:34pm

You are welcome!

Let me just make sure if I get you right...

You're trying to count a case [A] in each of its condition or [B] just in case when field "status" will be null?

For [A] I think of that:

Open  |  Waiting  |  Closed  |  Completed

Germany              7    |        12    |     32     |        32
-Berlin                  3    |         9    |     26     |        26
--Branch A            2    |         7    |     10     |        10
--Branch B            1    |         2    |     16     |        16

Am I get you right?

Regards,
Thomas

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2015 4:19pm

Thanks again Thomas,

There are four columns: Region, State, Branch and Total Cases/Branch.

The example below: North region has two states (Northern State A and Northern State B).

Northern State A has two branches: Northern State A (Branch 1)  and Northern State A (Branch 2).

Northern State A (Branch 1) has a total of 10 cases, and the breakdown is shown as:  5 open cases + 3 waiting cases + 2 closed cases + 0 completed cases.

I used a tablix matrix in the report. Region, state and branch are in the row groups.

Total Cases/Branch is the calculated field that I had to create so that I can do a sum total of all cases regardless of their status (open, waiting, closed and completed) in each branch.

That is where I get the error.

See below the structure:

Region     State                             Branch                         Total Cases/Branch

North   Northern State A   Northern State A (Branch 1)   Northern StateA (Branch 1) :    

5 Open, 3 waiting, 2 closed

and 0 completed cases >

Total = 10.  

Northern State A (Branch 2)                                              

Northern StateA (Branch 2) 4

Open,  1 waiting, 2 closed

and 0 completed cases >

Total = 7.

Northern State B  

Northern StateB (Branch 1)

Northern StateB (Branch 2)

I want the Total Cases/Branch column to be a calculated field, it should SUM all cases in each branch if the status of the cases are Open, Waiting, Closed and Completed.

Thanks again

February 23rd, 2015 2:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics