How can I identify missing items in Distributed applications? - Items that are no longer available will be removed during the next save operation

Hi guys

Imagine the following situation:

You create a new Windows Service-monitor by using the MP-Templates. As service name you'll type "MagicService_V1".
Then you'll create a new Distributed Application, where you'll add your "MagicService_V1" and some other components like TCP-Port-Monitors.
Everything seems to be fine and everyone is happy since the Distributed Application comes up with a green state.

Some days later, your serveroperator installs "MagicService_V2" cause there is a new version available.

Well, here's the problem:
Your Distributed Application still shows a green icon, even though the initial "MagicService_V1" isn't included anymore in the Distributed Application.
No error, nor a warning will be reported. Only when I try to reedit the Distributed Application, I am facing a popup "Items that are no longer available will be removed during the next save operation".

This is a very, very bad behavoir of SCOM, especially for our Service Level monitoring!

Does someone understand my problem? Is there a workaround for this?

Cheers sysadm

August 21st, 2012 5:14pm

DA purely is a SCOM group which rolls up health from all objects which it contains.

No objects - no health - no roll-up.

if you need to roll-up unhealthy state for missing object, you need to manually author DA out of SCOM GUI, subject for advanced authoring.

Otherwise I see the only option  - do not remove old implementation until new one is deployed.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2012 12:26am

Hello Pavel

Thank you for your reply.

Basically, how SCOM health roll-up works seems pretty clear to me. In most cases, this logic is useful.

But what I don't understand is:
For Monitoring a DA you select a particular object, not a class of objets. And you'll never take notice if this particular object no longer exists.
Sadly, there is no monitor-state for a 'white' monitor.

I'm still looking for a possible workaround.

Regards sysadm

August 22nd, 2012 9:49am

Unfortunately, there is no improvement in SCOM 2012.

Cheers sysadm

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2013 3:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics