How can I fix this printer error with Samsung SCX-4300 and SCX-4x21 on Windows Server 2008 R2?
I have two printers installed on Windows Server 2008 R2: 1. Samsung SCX-4x21 2. Samsung SCX-4300 There are two computers (Windows 7) connected to this server that utilise these shared printers. After printing documents for some time (within a 24 period) the printers no longer respond to print requests. On the server opening "Control Panel\Hardware\Devices and Printers" shows the two printers with yellow exclamation marks. The "SCX-4x21" printer shows the "Status" as "Needs troubleshooting" and "Printer: Error". The "SCX-4300" printer shows the "Status" as "Needs troubleshooting". Neither will print a test page. In properties for the "SCX-4x21", under the hardware tab it shows a "Device status" which says: "Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)". But searching for new drivers automatically returns saying: "The best driver software for your device is already installed". The error persists. When double-clicking on the "SCX-4x21" printer (or going to "Control Panel\Hardware\Devices and Printers\Samsung SCX-4x21 Series") you see the following: "Printer: Error" and "N document(s) in queue". Clicking on either of these brings up the print queue and shows a document with the status of "Error - Printing". As each job with an error is cancelled the next one attempts to print and also displays an error like the last. Once all the jobs are cleared the printer information says "Printer: Ready". Sending a "Print Test Page" sends the printer into an error state saying "Printer: Error". With the "SCX-4300", sending a "Print Test Page" displays a bubble saying: "Toner Empty: Replace Toner". The drivers I am using are downloaded from Samsung: SCX-4x21_Win7_Print.exe and SCX-4300_Print.exe as per advice from Samsung. What is this "Printer: Error" and how can I fix it?
September 9th, 2011 10:37am

Hi, Have you installed the X64 driver for the printer on the server? If so are your client PC's X64 or x86? Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2011 12:29pm

The server is 64-bit the workstations are 32-bit. I explained this to Samsung, and they provided me with a direct link for the SCX-4300: http://goo.gl/zHJfO This prompts you to download SCX-4300_Print.exe, which I have installed on the server. The proper link to this file is visible on the page for this printer: http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/printer-multifunction/mono-multifunction/SCX-4300/XSS/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win 7(32,64bit) 3.04.95:07 Print Driver Jan 19, 2011 53.07 MULTI LANGUAGE As you can see, this file does both 32 and 64 bit. So, in a word: Yes.
September 9th, 2011 12:47pm

Hi, I am thinking if its possible to install the x86 version of the driver on both server and clients? If so give that a go. Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
September 9th, 2011 1:06pm

Yes and no. When you share the printer on the network, the server will also share the drivers, which it does perfectly well. This is not the problem as there is no error on the workstations. But no, you can only install the above drivers using the executable on the machine the printer is plugged in to, otherwise you will receive an error saying the device was not found and the install will fail. I would appreciate assistance in diagnosing the error rather than being guided on how to install drivers. I'll remind you of my question, which is: "What is this "Printer: Error" and how can I fix it?" If you do not know the answer I would suggest you step aside, let somebody else try. Thanks.
September 9th, 2011 1:19pm

Hi James, I am only trying to assess and hopefully remedy the issue for you. I appreciate you know how to obtain/install drivers, however my suspicions are if such scenario had a x64 driver installed at the server which is in turn passing x64 drivers on to x86 machines. Anyway, I will step aside and allow someone else contribute. Kind Regards, Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
September 9th, 2011 1:23pm

This question was reposted to a more appropriate forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/faa35c22-677e-4413-bc54-aa5420d0771d
September 12th, 2011 4:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics