How can I enable dual boot of Windows Server 2003 and 2008 installed on separate hard disks?
I have Server 2003 on the first SATA disk I have Server 2008 on the second SATA disk What is required to give me the option to choose which disk to boot from?NXReserv
December 20th, 2011 3:14pm

First install Windows 2003 on the first partition. Then start the installation of Windows 2008. During the installation, create a new partition on the second disk and install there. When 2008 detects the existing 2003 installation and overwrite it's boot loader and automatically sets dual booting. Please let me know if you need another help. Regards, Liran.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 20th, 2011 5:05pm

If the OS's are already installed you can't configure dual boot unless you reinstall them.If reinstalation is not accepted then the remaining option is choosing the disk boot order from BIOS.MCTS - Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 20th, 2011 8:36pm

Or possibly a third party boot manager. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
December 20th, 2011 10:12pm

Like EasyBCD.Regards, Liran.
December 21st, 2011 12:52am

Hi NXReserv, Thanks for posting here. By using BCDEDIT we can manage to boot the Windows Server 2008 or other earlier version Windows OS where installed on same physical host: Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 21st, 2011 4:23am

Hi NXReserv, Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you. Regards, Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 25th, 2011 8:58pm

Moderators and NXR (the Asker), Dave and I suggest that you mark Marius' answer. Thanks!Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
December 31st, 2011 2:41am

Moderators and NXR (the Asker), Dave and I suggest that you mark Marius' answer. Thanks! Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki) Thanks!Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
March 5th, 2012 6:31pm

To elaborate on what Tiger Li said about using BCDEDIT: From the built-in help; C:\>bcdedit /? create . . . Examples: The following command creates a NTLDR based OS loader entry (Ntldr): bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Earlier Windows OS Loader" Also, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529 and http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/94193d61-d23d-48da-b48c-4dbada5d4911.
June 2nd, 2012 5:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics