How can I copy an .exe file from a remote file server using active directory to a GPO computer.

So the issue I'm having is trying to copy an .EXE file to several workstations in my OU in Active Directory. Normally I would do this by converting the exe into an MSI file, however the .EXE is the actual program and not an installer. I need a way of doing this and I've been struggling to find a solution online. I'm not a very good at scripting and could use any assistance on this. I tried to do this with a batch file, but kept running into UAC issues when the .bat would run on the workstations during login. I don't want to disable UAC so there must be another way around this. The batch file I have is very basic:

######

@echo off

copy \\fileserver\path\file.exe C:\Users\Public\Desktop

#####

August 27th, 2015 8:52pm

Forgot to mention, I'm working with Windows Server 2012 and for the most part all the workstations are running Windows 8.1.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2015 8:54pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Do you want to deploy the software by GPO?

As far as I know, to deploy software through GPO, the installation file of the software shall be .MSI file. We cannot assign or publish software if the installation file is .EXE file.

And for converting the exe into an MSI file, you may need to use third party tools to achieve that since we haven't found  the related Microsoft solution.

Please refer to the similar thread.

Converting EXE to MSI for Deployment

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f2f56ab0-c287-4d0f-a631-af08f0f866d3/converting-exe-to-msi-for-deployment?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

August 28th, 2015 2:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics