How can I change route metric?
There are two network interfaces on the computer - NIC and cellular modem. When both interfaces are up, the modem metric is much lower than NIC (which makes modem the default outbound route). I need to reverse this - NIC should be low-metric (default). This is what I've tried so far: 1. Unchecking "Automatic metric" and specifiyng value. As soon as another interface goes online, this value is wiped out. For example, I set NIC the route metric is 20. I can see this by typing "route print". When modem is connected, this value gets changed to 4220 or something like that. I tried that on both interfaces when they connected or not - 0:0. 2. Adding, changing or deleting route entries by "route add/change/delete" - that seem messes up everything.. -Stan
December 26th, 2012 9:06pm

Hi, Thanks for your post. Please try to change the binding order of the server. For more detailed information, please refer to the following article. Hope it helps. How to change the binding order of network adapters in Windows XP and in Windows 2000 (applies to higher version) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564 Best Regards, Aiden If you have any feedback on our support, please click here Aiden Cao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 28th, 2012 5:29am

The metric wasn't changing because the metric displayed by "route print" is composition of gateway and interface metrics. This has nothing to do with binding order. I found this helpful: http://blog-rat.blogspot.com/2011/06/forcing-windows-7-to-use-wired-when.html There is another interesting problem. If host has cellular and regular (wired NIC, WiFi and so on) interfaces, the routing metric is ignored because (I think) the cellular modem interface is in fact "on-link" which is local PPoE service and therfore as soon as it's up traffic outbound traffic goes through it, no matter what metric is. You can assign celllar modem a metric of 5000 and NIC 10, but the modem will be used. At least I couldn't silent it.. -Stan
December 29th, 2012 12:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics