How Do I Get The Resource DLL Code Samples In The Windows SDKs To Compile And Run?
I am currently trying to build a Resource DLL on on Windows Server 2003 and 2008. I am currently working with the Resource DLL code samples supplied with the Windows SDKs, and I can't get them to work. On Windows Server 2008 I succeeded compiling the Windows 7 SDK ClipBook Server sample, but couldn't get it to properly work in the cluster. When I insert the resource as a resource type to the cluster using "cluster restype <resource-name> /create /dll" it works, but the resource is listed with an unknown type instead of a ClipBook Server type, as I think it should have as it is the type defined in the Resource DLL's code. I also succeed in creating a resource of that type, but I can never get it to go Online. I always get the error: System error 5079 has occurred (0x000013d7). The specified node does not support a resource of this type. This may be due to version inconsistencies or due to the absence of the resource DLL on this node. And this is despite the fact that the resource is located on all the nodes in the cluster including the one I try to start the resource on. On Windows Server 2003, I'm working with the Platform SDK version 5.2, and I can't even get the ClipBook Server Resource DLL code sample to compile. I always get MIDL1001 Error saying that it cannot open the file cluscfgserver.idl. I added the path of the file's location to the include path of the project. That didn't work. When I tried to hard-code the path of the file, I got several linker errors when trying to link with this file. If anyone knows anything about any of these problems, I would appreciate any input.
February 23rd, 2010 5:14pm

Hey Avihu,Did you have any luck solving this? I'm experiencing the same problems you are having.Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2010 9:42pm

Hi All,As this is related to DLL compilation i would suggest posting in MSDN forums. Engineers would be able to assist if they have found the solution.http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories/
March 17th, 2010 1:47pm

I have indeed solved the problem. If you have a code example of a Resource DLL that compiles (and you can get one from the Windows SDK code samples or autogenerate one using a VS6 wizard) then you should have a DLL but experience a problem getting it to load into the Cluster. The Cluster will not accept it as a resource, and display (Unidentified Type) when you run "cluster restype" to list the resource types available. You just need to add the function Startup to the *.def file of your DLL as an exported symbol. It turns out that for some reason this critical part which is essential for any DLL is not done in the examples (why? I have no idea), and it fully resolves the issue. By the way, if you experience problems that the cluster is not listing the name of your Resource Type, it is usually because of a basic problem at the DLL level, and not something related to Resource DLLs on a higher level. If the DLL doesn't compile, that's a whole different issue, that I had the chance to work around with what I wrote above. Base your code on the examples and refactor. That's the best way to have a working Resource DLL immediately.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2010 12:27pm

Thank you very much for sharing your experience :)
April 21st, 2010 12:39pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics