How AD replication will work after restoring active directory on one DC?

Hi Everybody,

Hope all of you are fine and doing well.

I have a question: I have one domain Adatum.com, and I have 3 Domain controllers (all are 2012 R2, DNSs, GCs, one is PDC and the remaining are additional DCs), I take backup for the three servers every week by backing-up the System State for all the DCs, now in case I will restore one of these DCs to old backup, how replication will work? is the restored data will be restored to other DCs or, the un-recovered DCs will replicate data to the recovered DC and override the recovered data?

Thanks

Best regards

August 31st, 2015 11:56am

Recovered data will be overridden. If you need an opposite effect you have to think about authoritative restore.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 12:11pm

Hi,

Please go through the article.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816627(v=ws.10).aspx

You can use a nonauthoritative restore to restore the directory service on a domain controller without reintroducing or changing objects that have been modified since the backup. The most common use of a nonauthoritative restore is to reinstate a domain controller, often after catastrophic or debilitating hardware failures. In the case of data corruption, do not use nonauthoritative restore unless you have confirmed that the problem is with AD DS.

August 31st, 2015 12:45pm

Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Eth

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:38am

Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Eth

September 7th, 2015 12:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics