HotFix 950182 needed for AMD Platforms
Hotfix 950182 solves problem of incorrect processor count but will install only on Intel Platforms. We have an AMD platform that is only showing 32 processors with task manager but in Devise manager we see all 48 processors accounted for. This seems to be identical to issue described in Hotfix 950182 but now for AMD. How can this issue be communicated back to Microsoft so that we can get a similar Hotfix?
July 21st, 2010 2:43am

Hello, the problem described in the mentioned KB article applies only to INTEL machines as stated in the article. If you think it still is the same in your environment call Microsoft support about this.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 21st, 2010 11:37am

Here is the AMD Support Search page. You can do a search for your AMD CPU to see if there is any related patch. And you can try to contact AMD support to see if there is any information about this. http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx Meanwhile, I think you can wait for the standard Windows 2008 SP1 release. Updates and hotfix will be included in SP1 so it may help fix the issue.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
July 21st, 2010 11:47am

Shanon, The AMD processors that are bumping into this issue are the latest out of AMD a few months back this year (2010). I am sure that Hotfix 950182 targets Intel because Intel was only one to have issue until now. The specific processors we are testing with Windows 2008 server x86 is the AMD Opteron. The Hotfix description: You have a computer that uses a multicore processor. The number of the cores on a socket is not a power of 2. For example, the computer has a 6-core processor. For example our computer is a 48-core computer which is not a power of 2 (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64). We do not have time to wait for SP1 just to find out that Microsoft developers are unaware of this issue with the new AMD processors. Can you promote this up to Microsoft developers for their consideration? Thanks, John
July 21st, 2010 4:11pm

Hi, The issue is recorded, but please understand that I cannot guarantee that an update will be published immediately. In the meantime, you can have a test to install Windows 2008 SP1 BETA or contact Microsoft support/AMD support to see if there is any known solution.Shaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
July 23rd, 2010 10:56am

Shaon, Can you provide me with a link to a Microsoft a 32-bit (x86) version of Windows 2008 SP1 BETA? I also have opened a case with AMD support but they indicate it is purely a Microsoft issue. John
July 23rd, 2010 9:19pm

Hi John, First I should apologize for my mistake, as the recent Windows 2008 SP1 Beta is for Windows 2008 R2, while the operation system you are using should be Windows 2008 (not R2). Here is the link for Windows Server 2008 SP2: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=enShaon Shan| TechNet Subscriber Support in forum| If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
July 26th, 2010 5:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics