Hosting and Containment

I have the following classes and set of relation ships.

I am trying to get the following:

Seed Class ( does not need to roll up or even be visible in the health explorer. but all applications and the configuration come from this one discovery )

Application Base (this is only meant to be a containment in the Health service to show configuration issues but not intended to roll up in health

-> App1 (Rolls up to the one above)

-> App2 (Same as App1)

Application1 Configuration ( This will begin to discover the physical and logical instances whose health DOES matter to the heal service it spawns from )

All of the objects will discover except the last one and only because I have not written the discovery for it yet.

<ClassType ID="MyApp.Seed" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.ComputerRole" Hosted="true" Singleton="false" Extension="false">
        <ClassType ID="MyApp.Application" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.ApplicationComponent" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Hosted="true" Singleton="false">
        <ClassType ID="MyApp.Application.Application1" Base="MyApp.Application" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Hosted="true" Singleton="false">
        <ClassType ID="MyApp.Application.Application2" Base="MyApp.Application" Accessibility="Public" Abstract="false" Hosted="true" Singleton="false">
        <RelationshipType ID="MyApp.Application.Relationship" Base="System!System.Hosting" Abstract="false" Accessibility="Public">
          <Source ID="Source" Type="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer"/>
          <Target ID="Target" Type="MyApp.Application"/>
        </RelationshipType>
        <RelationshipType ID="MyApp.Application.App1.Relationship" Base="System!System.Containment" Abstract="false" Accessibility="Public">
          <Source ID="Source" Type="MyApp.Application"/>
          <Target ID="Target" Type="MyApp.Application.Application1"/>
        </RelationshipType>
        <RelationshipType ID="MyApp.Application.App2.Relationship" Base="System!System.Containment" Abstract="false" Accessibility="Public">
          <Source ID="Source" Type="MyApp.Application"/>
          <Target ID="Target" Type="MyApp.Application.Application2"/>
        </RelationshipType>

I know I am missing something.

Daren Daigle

September 2nd, 2015 12:01pm

Well, I have figured out a few more things but in the end I can get my primary application discovered but cannot get the items to appear properly in health explorer.

• My Primary application is discovered as LocalApplication (and this works)
  • My First component is discovered as an ApplicationComponent (and this works)
  • My Second component is discovered as an ApplicationComponent (and this, too works.)

But I have defined hosting relationships for component 1 and component 2 to connect to the primary application, I am unable to get them to connect and show in health explorer.  I am not sure with this configuration if the windows computer would show anything below my discovered primary application but when I show the health explorer for the primary application I also do not see either component.

The odd thing is, I feel like I am at the threshold of a breakthrough that will really shove me forward with respect to making my own management packs.  Any help is appreciated.

Daren Daigle

Boys and Girls Clubs of America

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 10:38am

I was able to query SQL and discover that both the containment and hosting relationships appear to be created in the database.

But still they are not visible in any health explorer.

Daren

September 8th, 2015 10:52am

I suspect you'll need a dependency roll up monitor - roll up on entity if you don't want health to roll up.

Be careful with monitoring scripts to ensure they meet cookdown - chapter 23 here:

https://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/en-US/training-courses/system-center-2012-r2-operations-manager-management-pack-8829

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 2:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics