Home Folder Drive Mapping - Adding a label

Hi Everyone

Recently we have switched over all our drive mappings to Active Directory Group Policy Preferences and used Active Directory home folder to map the users personal/home drive. 

In preferences there is an option to enter a label however I can't find a way to do this in Active Directory under the profile tab > Home Folder options.  Does anyone know of a way to do this without having to push out a registry key?

May 31st, 2010 3:32am

Hi DPAYoung,

By default, there is no label option for home drive in Active Directory computer and users's profile table. To change the home folder drive label, you can right click the drive and select "rename".

Or you can assign a vbs script to user's logon script to change his home drive label.

For you convenience, I have included a script sample for your reference.

==============

Option Explicit
Dim objNetwork, strDrive, objShell, objUNC
Dim strRemotePath, strDriveLetter, strNewName

strDriveLetter = "z:"
strRemotePath = "\\server\home"
strNewName = "HomeDrive"

' Section which actually (re)names the Mapped Drive
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
objShell.NameSpace(strDriveLetter).Self.Name = strNewName

WScript.Quit

' End of script.

Sincerely,

Wilson Jia

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2010 3:30am

Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Wilson Jia

June 2nd, 2010 9:44am

Thanks Wilson

I was hoping there was a better way but was worried we would have to script it.  Thanks for the example script.

Regard

D

June 3rd, 2010 1:24am

Was looking for this myself. Found perfect solution @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770902.aspx

Just set the 'Action' to Update, match it with your configured Location and drive letter and fill in the label as.

Works perfect for me.

• Edited by D.SAW Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:35 PM
October 22nd, 2014 9:33pm

Did you have any success with this?

I'm also  trying to use the 'Update' action on my GPO to label my users' home folders (without success).  All other drives are being correctly labelled.

November 26th, 2014 12:41am

I used the "Update" Action in my GPO to label the users home drive (set in AD) with the Variable %HOMESHARE% in the Location. Works fine for me!
March 5th, 2015 6:45am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics