Home Drive Mapped Folder Disappears!!!!
Enviornment: Server 2008 Functional Level (2) Server 2008 Domain Controllers Windows 7 Client Workstations Users Configured with a Home Drive via profile Tab in AD Users $ Computers with maps V: to \\SERVERNAME\SHARE$\%USERNAME% A large amount of user Home Drives (V:) not mapped after a logon. Users home drive may appear on next logon. Users have access to home drives even if drive is not mapped by using Full Path. Is this authentication? User's get other drives mapped; however these drives come from group policy preferences drive mappings. Thanks in advance. Richard
September 22nd, 2011 9:25pm

It could be due to latency. Try applying a new GPO ... Computer Policy - > Administrative Templates - > System - > Logon - > "Alway wait for the network at computer startup and logon" Its always recommended NOT to edit the Default Domain Policy; However, to create a new policy and link it on OU containing computer objects (as its a computer policy). Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) To Infinity and Beyond
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 22nd, 2011 9:50pm

Also, check following URL http://sinkingducks.com/wordpress/?p=69Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) To Infinity and Beyond
September 22nd, 2011 9:58pm

Thank you for the response, however Home Drives are NOT being pushed via GPO. Still possible latency?
September 23rd, 2011 9:07am

As I mentioned, latency could be one of the reason. Create a test OU, move couple of affected computer objects. Create and link above mentioned policy. Observe for some time and see if the test results are positive. I have another thought on this issue... Instead of \\SERVERNAME\SHARE$\%USERNAME% try \\SERVERNAME.domain.com\SHARE$\%USERNAME% ( Use FQDN in place of hostname ) E.g. instead of \\fileserv\docs$\%username% try \\fileserv.example.com\docs$\%username% Thanks, Santosh (MCTS W2K8 AD and SCCM) “ To Infinity and Beyond… ”
September 23rd, 2011 12:02pm

Have a try on this group policy: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Logon -> Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon --- set to Enabled.TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
September 26th, 2011 3:56am

Santosh - Used FQDN and same results. (Hit or miss randomly) Shaon- Will this effect Mapping of HOME Drives even though home drives ARE NOT being mapped via Group policy?
September 26th, 2011 10:51am

if u mapped the home drive through gp.can u run rsop.msc from client computer?Darshana Jayathilake
September 26th, 2011 12:09pm

from that computer can u access the perticular folder manually? Darshana Jayathilake
September 26th, 2011 12:10pm

Darshana, Yes I can manually map the drive, I can browse to their home drive. I have public drives assigned to the users via GP and those drives are mapped.
September 26th, 2011 1:56pm

What about authentication issues?
September 26th, 2011 8:33pm

hi do a simple thing in DC right click the user-> properties and then select the profile tab and in the Home folder select connect and select a drive letter and enter the shared path that you want to map to that user this way you can map one folder to all the user in OU by selecting all the users and to the above thing the path would look like this for eg \\servername\sharedfoldername\%username% but in this way you can map only one network drive please this is a answer if you feel it Thanks, Viraj
September 27th, 2011 3:05am

Viraj, I am already doing that, but intermittent on some users.
September 27th, 2011 8:48am

rich, after a user log in to the system and the drive is not mapped check the eventviewer and let us know if you can get something for more analysis Thanks Viraj
September 28th, 2011 2:02am

For the group policy, it should also work when you set home folder in AD instead of group policy. A related thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/e124f906-54f2-41b7-90b8-2094e7ff6b0bTechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
September 28th, 2011 3:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics