High CPU usage for ReportingServicesService.exe
Hi,

We are using Reporting Services 2008 and we upgraded our Report Server databases from MSRS 2005 in October 2009. We had seven incidents in January where the CPU jumped to 100% and remained there until the server was rebooted or the Report Server was restarted.  In February, we have had seven more incidents where the CPU escalated to >80% but we proactively restarted the Report Server in order to avoid a 100% CPU condition.

Although the CPU spikes start at a time when reports are running, the CPU will remain at 80-100% even after the reports have finished and there is nothing in the "queue" (ReportServer..Event table). The first time (before we had a monitor in place), the 100% CPU condition lasted for 72 hours. Task manager shows that the ReportingServicesService.exe process is the culprit, consuming 99-100% of the CPU.

I have examined the ExecutionLogStorage for the periods when the CPU spikes occur and I have also examined the ReportServerService log files.  However, at this time I have been unable to find a consistent pattern or a single report that would be causing the CPU spike.

We have some good graphs of the incidents and I have examined them looking for patterns.  The spikes don't appear to always happen in the same way.  For instance, sometimes the CPU goes straight to 80% while other times the CPU climbs to 80% over a few hours.

We are running Reporting Services in a multi-tier topology with the Reporting Services server separated from the RSDB report catalog server. The sources of the reporting data are varied and exist on remote servers, including SQL Server 2000, 2005, and Oracle.

Both Reporting Services servers are Intel Xeon 2.5-2.83 GHz dual quad core servers with 64-bit Windows 2008 Enterprise (SP1) without Hyper-V. Each server has 32 GB of memory. The SQL Server with the ReportServer databases is SQL 2008 (SP1) standard edition. The Reporting Services installation is 2008 (SP1) enterprise edition.

I called in to open a case with Microsoft today but she recommended posting on the Technet first since we are able to restart the service without impacting users.  Obviously, this is not a valid long-term solution.

The issue is similar to this one on MS CSS blog but we don't have any custom code
http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2009/12/09/high-cpu-with-reporting-services-2008.aspx?CommentPosted=true

February 23rd, 2010 7:59pm

I suggest you open a case with CSS, or open a bug on msconnect. Please take a full memory dump of ReportingServicesService.exe when the 100% CPU problem happens.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2010 10:13pm

I posted it on Connect a couple weeks ago and Lucasz also suggests opening a CSS.  When I called CSS yesterday, they recommended posting it on Technet first.

I would like to gather a memory dump but I haven't been able to find documentation on this process.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks James. 
February 24th, 2010 3:55pm

What does the Profiler say is going on? I suspect you have a blocking/lock issue that's preventing completion of one operation in favor of another. What's also on the Reporting Services server? SQL Server (of course) but is that the data server as well? What about a print/domain/dns/sharepoint service? For best performance, RS should be the only service on the system.

hth
February 28th, 2010 9:46pm

I've been seeing something very similar.  Since upgrading our "Enterprise" report server from SQL/SSRS 2005 to 2008 a couple of months ago, we've had 3 incidents (roughly separated by 2 weeks per incident) where the CPU goes to 100% on the box.  (It's a dedicated SSRS server, 64bit Enterprise edition all the way, lots of CPU and memory - most of the time it's just idling.)  The first two times I stopped and restarted SSRS to remedy the issue, but with the incident yesterday I dug further.  The majority of the reports hit a "Query" server and I did see some blocking happening there that coincided with the CPU spike.  After spid-killing off about 10 of these reports, CPU on the SSRS server dropped back to normal levels.  So, you may try looking at SQL activity via sp_who2 on the instances that the report queries are actually hitting and see if you see something similar.

I'm wondering if the root fix for this issue is just poorly written reports?  Why didn't this manifest itself when I was on SSRS 2005?  The reports haven't changed since the upgrade...   any other thoughts/speculations/suggestions?
March 5th, 2010 2:38pm

We have seen similar problems when reporting from an Oracle Data source, with a very long running query.  CPU spikes big and stays there until the report is killed... There was no sorting etc on the SSRS side, but there was some grouping.... Killing the report from Report manager didn't work either - because the Oracle thread never went away....

Only when we killed the thread on the Oracle side - then we got relief.
March 5th, 2010 3:36pm

I dont have any report or whatever

using sql server 2008 too

My laptop suddenly hot, I see task manager 100% too
ReportingServicesService.exe taking all my cpu

May 2nd, 2010 7:26am

Hi,

I am having the same issue,did you find the solution?

October 25th, 2010 10:09pm

Thanks Shannon
November 5th, 2010 4:34pm

hi

I Have the same problem.

Did you find a solution ?

Patrick

March 14th, 2011 8:25am

Same problem which happens every now and then but apart from restarting the service cant seem to see any solution.
March 14th, 2011 3:11pm

Having the same intermittent problem here.  All works for a few weeks, then CPU utilization jumps to 100%.

Anyone come up with a cause/solution yet?

Sean
May 5th, 2012 4:38pm

We have the same issue. It happens so much that we have an alert notifying us when the CPU is 100% so can restart reporting services.

Is there anything at all on this yet?

Thanks

Dave

June 22nd, 2012 11:41am

If anyone has this issue, please vote it up on Connect:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/569742/reportingservicesservice-exe-at-100-cpu-utilization

February 13th, 2014 6:04pm

We're having the same problem with SSRS 2014. Our SSRS server is barely used -- no reports running or schedule to run within the past 6 hours, yet it pushes 100% CPU after a few hours.  I had to set WorkingSetMaximum else it consumed all available memory, 22 gb, with 0 reports in the ExecutionLog.  Everything was fine in SSRS 2012. 

Version:  Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2402.0 (X64) 
Edition: Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)

April 27th, 2015 3:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics