Hierarchical Taxonomy Refinement

Hey guys.  I have seen a bunch of forum posts asking about this in 2010, but I am hoping that 2013 may have introduced an easier way to accomplish this.

I have a hierarchical taxonomy term set that I am using to tag items such as:

North America
     United States
          Chicago
          New York
     Canada
          Ottawa
Europe
     France
          Paris

The problem is, I need search refinements that include all of the parent terms even though most items are tagged with the most specific (city level) terms.  The way it seems to work out-of-the-box is that the refinements shown are only the actual tag that has been applied to the item.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  An even better solution would be one where only the top level terms are shown initially, and the user is able to drill down to more specific refinements.

In 2010, I have read that this could be achieved with XSLT and Pipeline processing.  With XSLT gone in 2013, I am not sure what the equivalents would be.

Any help that you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

June 24th, 2013 6:06pm

Hi Enigmatic,

I was in the process of develeloping a webpart to acheive the functionality and its half way through. the appraoch what I have used in 2013 is to use display template and load all the terms with the help of spservice. and if the value is not part of the search result then disable the same in a tree view kind of structure...  Hopefully I will be publishing the code in codeplex soon.

Regards  Roy Joyson
Please remember to mark your question as "answered"/"Vote helpful" if this solves/helps your problem.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2013 8:51pm

Roy,

Great to hear! With hierarchical taxonomy capabilities so easy to use, it was something that I just assumed would be built-in. 

Unfortunately, I am looking for a shorter-term solution.

I came upon the following link talking about using a Content Enrichment web service, and I may go with that approach for now. 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdev/archive/2012/11/13/customize-the-sharepoint-2013-search-experience-with-a-content-enrichment-web-service.aspx

It won't be as nice as a tree view, but it should allow me to at least traverse the taxonomy hierarchy (based on what is tagged at the lowest level) and push the different levels into separate managed properties to show as refiners for each level (ie. Continent Managed Property, Country Managed Property, City Managed Property).

Best of luck, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks!

June 26th, 2013 3:27pm

Hello Roy,

Have you managed to finish the solution, also please share the details with us

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2015 1:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics