Hidden shares questions
I am using Windows 2008 R2 SP1 as a AD DC, i want to create a home folder for my users mapped drive. I can create a hidden share and then point all the users home folders to this drive without any problems. My problem arises when i add the path to the home folder in the users properties page - profile -home folder. When the drive is mapped at logon it shows the full path to the share INCLUDING the hidden share name i.e. in 'My Computer' the sharename is "username on '\\mydomaincontroller\hidden$\username' ", is there anyway to change this share name to something like "username" or "home folder". I do not want the hidden share or the full path to show on the mapped drive. Do i need to set it using a logon script with 'net use' ? or is there another way i can achieve this. TIA
November 7th, 2011 5:57pm

Use Group Policy Prefrences to to map the drive and use the "Label As" option. This will remove the unc path and display only the label you specify.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 7th, 2011 8:09pm

Use Group Policy Prefrences to to map the drive and use the "Label As" option. This will remove the unc path and display only the label you specify.
November 8th, 2011 3:58am

Hi, you can use a logonscript in vbscript to hide the path of the map drive , you can use this link to perform this goal: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1081182.htmOussama Oueslati | System Engineer | vNext Consulting
November 8th, 2011 10:31am

Hi, you can use a logonscript in vbscript to hide the path of the map drive , you can use this link to perform this goal: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1081182.htmOussama Oueslati | System Engineer | vNext Consulting
November 8th, 2011 6:29pm

Hi D L Hannah I have looked at his Policy setting but cannot see a 'Label as' option anywhere with the tab or sub tabs. Could you clarify please. @Oussama , thank you for your reply but i did not want to use a script for this if at all possible. thanks
November 10th, 2011 6:48am

You can see the "Label As" option at the link below. You can see that it is located just under the "Location" field. http://blogs.technet.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-85-03-metablogapi/6862.image_5F00_798AD622.png
November 10th, 2011 4:31pm

Hi D.L.Hannah thanks for the link. Still having a few issues with this though. I need to setup a share folder for user home folders. I can setup a share and see it ok nut i wnat to be able to link to a specific users folder within that share and hide the actual share path. for example i create a folder called 'myshare' and share it out with 'everyone' permissions. within this folder is a user folder called 'dexter' which is created from the users profile page as a home folder 'Z' on \\myserver\myshare\%username%' (dexter has full acees and administrators have access added by Domain GPO. What i want to do is set this in the GPO to link this drive to the relevant user at logon and show it as a networked drive called "home". Can this be done ? can i set the sharea and just add the %username% when i add it in the GPO ? if i change the user section of the GPO and need to test it can i issue the gpupdate /force from the cmd prompt on the server and the client. should i really need to reboot or only log off/on as this is a user setting not a machine setting ? TIA
November 10th, 2011 7:09pm

Hi, You may use the “Label as” option of Drive Maps GPP item to hide the full path of the mapped drive and display as the user name by pressing F3 and using variable name “LogonUser”. Of course, you may also set “Label as” option to “home”. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: Configure a Mapped Drive Item http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770902.aspx You need to re-login the system to apply this GPP change. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 15th, 2011 11:50pm

Hi, You may use the “Label as” option of Drive Maps GPP item to hide the full path of the mapped drive and display as the user name by pressing F3 and using variable name “LogonUser”. Of course, you may also set “Label as” option to “home”. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: Configure a Mapped Drive Item http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770902.aspx You need to re-login the system to apply this GPP change. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 16th, 2011 7:47am

Hi Jonnydexter, Did you ever got this working? Because I was using the 'Label As' to hide the path in a very succesful way...that is, until I get to the User personal share, then it shows: username on 'server\usershare' (U:) On all the other public shares works fine, it's just this one that keeps showing the full path. I've tried setting it through the Profile tab in the user properties too, no luck. I hope you are still around these forums. Thanks!
January 17th, 2012 1:50pm

Nevermind, he, he, finished reading about the script, adapted it, so after AD created the U drive for the user, the script runs at logon and just labels it differently: sDrive = "U:\" Set oShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application") oShell.NameSpace(sDrive).Self.Name = "UserData" Weird how the Label on GPP would not work for the user drives but any other mapped folder would work just fine. Cheers.
January 17th, 2012 6:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics