Help with issue relating to secuity update KB941693 on Windows Server 2003
A couple months ago, Microsoft released update KB941693 (MS08-025: Vulnerability in Windows Kernel could allow elevation of privilege). After installation, every Windows 2003 server Imanage no longer allows Excel 97 users to save Excel files to them. Users of later versions of Excel appear to be unaffected, through unfortuntely Office 97 is our Office workhorse. (Also, as far as I can tell, Word 97 files save fine.) When attempting to save a file, users arepresented with a long pause and then a Microsoft Excelerror window stating, "Save not completed. File rename failed. Retry?" Theywere given the option to Retry or Cancel, and ultimately they have to cancel and save the file locally until I removed update KB941693 from the server. As a result of the failed save, Excel dumps a randomly named, extensionless temp file in the same server directory as the Excel file. I have not seen anyone reporting this issue anywhere, and I have been looking on and off for a while now. The issue is repeatable accross every Windows 2003 server and I have not seen it listed under "Known issues with this security update".Is anyone else experiencing this sameissue,know if there is a fix for this, and if not, whether there will ever be one, or if Microsoft even knows about this? If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped on this one. I've ignored the update for now, but am afraid it will get rolled into SP3 (assuming there will be one) and I'll be out of luck ever trying to install any future Service Pack. One last thing, there are some users of an older Windows application (that, I believe,utiliizes an old version of FoxPro) that get runs out of a network share that had some save issues as well at the time, which seemed to go away after uninstalling the update in question.
July 23rd, 2008 7:14pm

Hi Sean, According to the symptom, it seems that there are some compatibility issues between Excel 97 and the new security update. I just checked our knowledge base; however, I did not find any related reports. As Extended hotfix support for Office 97 ended on Februry 28, 2002 and Microsoft assisted supported ended on January 16, 2004, I am sorry to say that there will not be any hotfix support for Office 97 now. For increased security and reliability, we suggest you upgrading to the latest version of Office and to install the latest service pack as soon as possible. In this way, you could get better support and utilize the new and exciting features included in the new version of Office. Thank you for your understanding. http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=2507Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2008 8:21am

Thanks for the response. We do plan on moving to 2003/2007, though it would have been nice if we could have utilized 97 on some of the machines indefinitely.
July 30th, 2008 11:35pm

I can fully understand your concern. However, as you know, due to increasing security enchancement demand, Microsoft has and is working hard to fix security holes in our products. During this process, it is inevitable that some old products, such as Office 97, become incompatible with the new security enhancement. Although we tried to alleviate the influence, we could not cover all the products, especially those products which has been out of support. This is the reason that we suggest customer upgrading to the latest product to reduce maintenance cost.Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2008 6:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics