Help with Update-Help!

I have just upgraded to the latest version of Powershell 3, but my Update-Help won't work.  I am running this in an elevated Admin prompt.  This is the error message I get:

PS C:\scripts> Update-Help
Update-Help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'Microsoft.PowerShell.Management, Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility,
CimCmdlets, ISE, Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Host, Microsoft.PowerShell.Security,
Microsoft.WSMan.Management, PSScheduledJob, PSWorkflow, PSWorkflowUtility, Microsoft.PowerShell.Core' with UI
culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to connect to Help content. Make sure the server is available and then try the command
again.
At line:1 char:1
+ Update-Help
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToConnect,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

Does anyone have any ideas.  By the way, my culture is en-ZA, but I've tried -UICulture with this argument, as well as en-US, and I've tried using -Force.
August 27th, 2012 2:33pm

Hi,

When I run the update-help on a server without network connection to the internet, then I got the error message as yours, so I would like to know that whether your computer connect to the internet.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2012 9:35am

No, that's not it.  I'm definitely connected to the internet.  This is the computer that is failing, the one I'm typing on now.

August 28th, 2012 9:47am

Hi,

I test in my lab, and the same error occured on my vitual machine with an internal network, and according to the error message, it indicates that it could not contact to the content. I would like to know that did you run powershell ad administrator?

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

August 30th, 2012 8:43am

Yes, ran Powershell as Admin (elevated).
August 30th, 2012 9:13am

Direct connection or proxy?
August 30th, 2012 9:54am

Direct.  I am using a 3G adapter, which has a public IP address, so there isn't even any NAT to consider.
August 30th, 2012 9:56am

Hi , Please let me know which version of Windows Management Framework 3.0 you installed? RC? If you look closely at the error message you will see a few modules are listed. Help for those modules has not yet been published, and will be done before the final release. As described in the release notes for Windows Management Framework 3.0 RC, that message is expected for a few modules until help content is published for them. You should notice that help was installed for the other modules (not listed in the error) on your system.

Please try to download the latest Windows Management Framework 3.0

Th

August 31st, 2012 8:18am

Using another machine with the same RC on it, I managed to save the help using Save-Help.  Now I can transfer that help folder to my non-working machine, and do and Update-Help -Source xyz.
August 31st, 2012 8:27am

please check this: http://blog.stangroome.com/category/powershell/

$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient

$wc.Proxy.Credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials

Update-Help

Bingo!

Thank you! Jason Stangroome

• Proposed as answer by Anonymous699 Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:17 PM
October 15th, 2013 4:16pm

please check this: http://blog.stangroome.com/category/powershell/

$wc.Proxy.Credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials

Update-Help

Bingo!

Thank you! Jason Stangroome

• Proposed as answer by Anonymous699 Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:17 PM
October 15th, 2013 4:16pm

Hello!

I have`t proxy with internet on my PC, but if i alter proxy settings to my ovn NTLM auth proxy i`ve got it. But still cannot update help..

$prxy= New-Object system.Net.WebProxy('127.0.0.1:3128')
$prxy.Credentials=Get-Credential # may be null, doesn`t req
$wc.Proxy=$prxy
$wc.DownloadString('http://www.ya.ru')
Update-Help
So, i`ve succesfully got www.ya.ru page, but not updated help- no one connection from PSW..

PSVersion 4.0

March 18th, 2015 11:08am

thank you - that did the trick
April 30th, 2015 1:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics