Help with File and Folder security
I need some help with folder permissions in Server 2008 R2. I have some folders that I do not want people to be able to delete files from. They need to be able to create files and modify files in these folders though. If I don't grant the delete right it prevents them from creating files in the folder for some reason. If I check the delete box then they can create files there again. I don't know why it is working this way. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
October 5th, 2010 9:48am

I tried this on one of my server 2008 machines, I checked deny on the following Attributes -Delete subfolders and files -Delete -Change Permissions -Take Ownership The issues that I noticed were as follows. -You will be unable to name change the files or extensions. (Folder Window) -creating new files will prompt you with an error, but will create the file. (When in "Microsoft Word" and doing a "save as") I also tested this on a Windows Server 2003 machine and had the same issues. I want to say that the folder structure and files need to be already created before you apply the security. Kinda sucks but whaterver, sorry I couldn't help more.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2010 12:00pm

Hi scs-04 Thanks for posting here. Could you use the AccessEnum utility to list the folder permission that you encountered issue and post here for further investigation ? And post the groups list that the account you used to access these folders belonged. AccessEnum v1.32 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897332.aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 6th, 2010 2:16am

O have used the AccessEnum utility and have the results saved as XML files. How can I attach them here to this post?? They seem to be very wide text files. Thanks
October 27th, 2010 11:48am

Hi scs-04, Thanks for your update. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=17adc66d-ff61-4fb6-a114-c31e8644aa71) Password: [2t2oo38X+Z Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
October 28th, 2010 4:31am

Sorry for the delay but can we still do this?? I couldn't log in to transfer the files.
December 2nd, 2010 2:27pm

Are you still out there to help??? Eric
December 14th, 2010 12:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics