Help with CA
At my work we have set up a test domain on a host server with 4 virtual machines running win svr 2008 r2 enterprise. One domain controller and 3 for CAs. I joined all to the test domain. Installed a standalone root CA. Next when I started installing the enterprise subordinate CA, the option for enterprise ca was grayed out. any suggestions on how to fix this issue?
June 19th, 2012 9:10am

While installing an Enterprise CA please make sure you have the following pre-requirements: 1) You are logged in as the enterprise Admin. 2) The domain is up(since you are using VM, chances can be that the VM goes to sleep or powers off and hence the DC becomes unavailable.) Check with the above two pre-reqs, you should be able to install an Enterprise CA.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 19th, 2012 9:41am

I do log in as enterprise admin and the VM is up and running
June 19th, 2012 9:55am

You are able to successfully ping the Domain controller from the server machine where you tried installing the Enterprise CA?
June 19th, 2012 9:58am

yes
June 19th, 2012 10:02am

Can you pass the certocm.log file. Its present at: c:\windows\certocm.log This file will give you the details on what went wrong.
June 19th, 2012 10:09am

Also check if the "Public Key Services" containers is present in the Services Container in the Configuration Partition. http://support.microsoft.com//kb/938613
June 19th, 2012 10:24am

the c:\windows\certocm.log is not there and the adsi edit is empty
June 19th, 2012 11:38am

So are you saying that Public Key Container is not there? If so then please try the steps mentioned in the above article to create those containers and after that install CA
June 19th, 2012 12:55pm

June 20th, 2012 9:57am

June 20th, 2012 9:57am

I cant do the steps because nothing is there
June 20th, 2012 9:59am

Hi, I understand that the ADSI edit is empty. I suggest we check the article below and confirm that the ADSI edit is properly installed and connected. ADSI Edit (adsiedit.msc) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773354(v=ws.10).aspx In the meantime, I hope the article below can be useful to you: Active Directory Certificate Services Step-by-Step Guide http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772393(v=ws.10).aspx Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
June 21st, 2012 1:36am

Hi SeeJay87, Yes ADSIEdit.msc remains empty. Please follow the below steps to check it: - Goto Action->Connect To. -On the Connection settings window, select the radio-button "Select Well Known Naming Context" , from the drop down select Configuration. -Then expand Configuration, and then expand CN=Configuration,dc= <var>Domain Component</var>,dc= <var>Domain Component.</var> Check if "Public Key Services" is there under "CN=Services". Check under "Public Key Services" if the above containers(mentioned in the link) are there. Also in your snapshot(2nd), I see some network connectivity issue. Can you check if the network connectivity is fine? Remember, if the machine is not able to contact the DC then Enterprise CA option will be disabled. Few points you should check for this: 1) The server machine is joined to the domain. 2) You have to log on to the enterprise root domain with your enterprise admin rights. 3) The server machine is able to contact the Domain controller, there are no network issues, no firewall rules blocking it, etc. 4)Also just check that you can do nslookup for the domain you have choosen...nslookup <domainname>. This should return the DC IP you have set up
June 21st, 2012 2:14am

The ADSI edit is installed correctly on my test DC. I checked the network issue. The DNS was set to the loop back address and it was not allowing internet access. I also started pining from the other servers on the host to the DC and it worked but when i pinged from the DC to other servers on the host it failed. I turned off the fire wall and thin the pings worked. I tryed to install the enterprise issue servers, and the same issue is present. All servers are part of the domain but the enterprise option is grayed out.
June 21st, 2012 10:41am

Is there any more advice i could get for this issue
June 22nd, 2012 11:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics