Help needed to create a probe monitor to traverse a list of OID's in an indexed table

Hi,

I am trying to create a probe monitor to get the disk status of all the Isilon disks in all the disk bays. The monitor should alert me when the disk status is not healthy.

I have attached a picture below of the OID table from the isilon MIB. The various disk entries have OID index 1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.1 to 1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.xx (depending on the no of isilon disk bays)

How can I traverse this list for a monitor? There is not much documentation/blog infor for SNMP walk. I am also trying to see if I can use Regular expression combination, something like,

<Expression>
                      <RegExExpression>
                        <ValueExpression>
                          <XPathQuery>$Data/SnmpVarBinds/SnmpVarBind[1]/OID</XPathQuery>
                        </ValueExpression>
                        <Operator>MatchesRegularExpression</Operator>
                        <Pattern>1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.[1-224]+</Pattern>
                      </RegExExpression>
 </Expression>

expression combined with some AND conditional clause

but I am not getting it right. Will be great if I can get some help on this! I have been literally breaking my head with this for about a week now with no success.

T

January 8th, 2014 1:57am

An update on my case (still not solved). I tried creating a regular expression to see if I can generate alert for the disks. But it doesn't work too. Below is a snap of what I tried

<FirstExpression>
<And>
<Expression> 
<SimpleExpression>
 <ValueExpression>
<XPathQuery Type="String">ErrorCode</XPathQuery>
 </ValueExpression>
 <Operator>NotEqual</Operator>
 <ValueExpression>
<Value Type="String">HEALTHY</Value>
 </ValueExpression>
</SimpleExpression>
</Expression>
<Expression>
   <RegExExpression>
                        <ValueExpression>
                          <XPathQuery>SnmpVarBinds/SnmpVarBind[1]/Value</XPathQuery>
                        </ValueExpression>
                        <Operator>MatchesRegularExpression</Operator>
                        <Pattern>1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.[1-224]+</Pattern>
                    </RegExExpression>
     </Expression>
 </And>
 </FirstExpression>

My FirstExpression is an healthy expression and I had tried equating it as "notEqual" to HEALTHY which should error out because the value obtained is HEALTHY. But it doesn't. I was able to import the MP with this expression successfully but it doesn't behave as expected.

Any help on this would be still greatly helpful for me!

Thank

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2014 12:25am

Have you tried snmpwalk from a MS in the resource pool? Maybe the entire workflow is failing, and you might not know that if you're using a proprietary tool from another machine.

Some good start snmpwalk info here: http://www.cuddletech.com/articles/snmp/node13.html

January 11th, 2014 9:11am

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for replying. I get the result properly when I just try the single OID (eg 1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.1). The value is returned as healthy. But when I do try it for the entire table from (1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.1 to 1.3.6.1.4.1.12124.2.52.1.5.xxx) I am not able to retrieve any values. And I am not so proficient with implementing SNMP walk in SCOM too. If you can point me to a place to do this, that would be of great help. I tried searching a lot and I haven't got many results so far. Thanks

January 12th, 2014 4:37am

Hari V,

I was unable to find a lot of data about this, but I have the following things for you to review, which hopefully will point you in the right direction: what if you try to use "Contains" as a filter for your expression?

The only place I was able to find documentation about this are

hope this helps.

Jose

January 13th, 2014 6:32am

Hi Hari,

this post of mine should address exactly your issue: http://nocentdocent.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/device-components-discovery-snmp-mp-chap-4-scom-sysctr/.

My sample is about filtering specific entries, but if you need the full plain table, just have one disocvery that addresses the index of the disk 52.1.0 then a second discovery that using the Index adds the properties that you need.Please tell me if something it's not clear.

Daniele

January 17th, 2014 7:34am

Thanks Jose and Daniele for helping out with my problem. Daniele, I will try creating a separate MP for this purpose as mentioned in your blog and try to see if I can monitor the disks. Hopefully it works. I will post back my status soon.

January 17th, 2014 4:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics