Help needed in setting NTP Server in workgroup environment
This is A Sami and i want some help from you in setting NTP server in workgroup environment running windows server 2003 and windows XP. i have gone through some kb but they don't guide properly for workgroup environment setup. if you could tell me how can i do it, i would be thankful.
May 20th, 2009 8:13am

hi Sami,1. Click on start -> run -> type 'gpedit.msc' without quotes.2. Click on OK3. In the Group Policy editor, please navigate to the following:Computer settings -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows TimeService -> Time Providers4. Double click on 'Enable Windows NTP Server', click on enabled.5. Click on Apply and OKTo verify:6. From the command prompt, type gpupdate/force and press enter.7. Next type net time and press enter.8. Your system should display its own time without any error message.Now on the XP system which is to be configured as client, please performthese steps:1. Click on start -> run -> type 'gpedit.msc' without quotes.2. Click on OK3. In the Group Policy editor, please navigate to the following:Computer settings -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows TimeService -> Time Providers4. Double click on 'Enable Windows NTP Client', click on enabled.5. Click on Apply and OK6. Now please double click 'Configured Windows NTP client'7. In NTP Server text box, please replace time.windows.com with the IPaddress of windows 2003 server. Please do not change any other settings. Click on Apply andOK.8. Open command prompt and execute gpupdate/force command.9. Type net time and check if the time atserver is displayed.hope this info helps !sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2009 11:07am

Hello, Please see this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314054.Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
May 20th, 2009 11:07am

ok thanks for reply i have done some tweaking in the registry. now the client has started sending requests to server but it could not find/access the server, and event id 39 is displayed in system log. when i run the "net time /querysntp" command it displays the server ip from time is required but i dont know why time is not being sync with it. :( once again i would like to tell u that my server and workstations are working in workgroup environment not in domain.!!! Regards,
May 20th, 2009 3:12pm

sorry event id is 29 not 39 and message is: "The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 120 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time. " other event id is 36 and message is: The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 3 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized. but no entry in server system log. Thanks,
May 20th, 2009 3:14pm

i have tried both options told by S khairuddin and moderator. but they dont work!
May 22nd, 2009 1:40pm

hi there, what is the version of w32time.dll ? , do you have windows xp sp3 installed , if so can you please test it on xp sp3.sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
May 22nd, 2009 2:08pm

version of w32time.dll 5.1.2600.5512 SP3 installed in previous post i mentioned that (as per events info) xp trying to locate the server but it can't locate it. Last entry in event log is "Event Type: Error Event Source: W32Time Event Category: None Event ID: 29 Date: 5/22/2009 Time: 1:34:58 PM User: N/A Computer: And Description: The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 240 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. do need some tweaking in server? Thanks, A Sami
May 22nd, 2009 2:14pm

Hi Sami, In above setup is given for the domain or a workgroup if a workgroup means can't find out this Now on the XP system which is to be configured as client, please perform these steps: 1. Click on start -> run -> type 'gpedit.msc' without quotes. 2. Click on OK 3. In the Group Policy editor, please navigate to the following: Computer settings -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows Time Service -> Time Providers 4. Double click on 'Enable Windows NTP Client', click on enabled. 5. Click on Apply and OK 6. Now please double click 'Configured Windows NTP client' 7. In NTP Server text box, please replace time.windows.com with the IP address of windows 2003 server. Please do not change any other settings. Click on Apply and OK. 8. Open command prompt and execute gpupdate/force command. 9. Type net time and check if the time at server is displayed. This one i can see only in the windows server 2003 only Can pls helpme out for i need to setup a ntp in the windows 2003 server they are not in the domain it is a workgroup server 2003 and also i need to syn to the desktop windows XP with that NTP which i going to be created that windows 2003 server.
December 2nd, 2010 5:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics