Help me to choose a Server Hardware Configuration
Myself Nickesh Tawde from India. As an IT Manager I need to choose General Server. So I need your valuable suggestion to choose cost and work efficient server. Also tell me which Server Operating System should I use ? also Licensing as I am working at school. No. of systems: 100 10 to 20 systems will be using one software installed on server and normal maintainance of other systems. Thanks & Regards, Nickesh Tawde
May 12th, 2011 4:07am

Hello, which server roles should it become, please be more specific what the server should do? Any applications that must run on it?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2011 4:51am

Thanks for your reply. Server Roles would be as follows Domain Controller File, Printer & Application Sharing Remote Desktop (not typically a Terminal Server) Data Backup Please note that over 10 users will be using continuously softwares installed on server for around 8 hours. Thanks & Regards, Nickesh Tawde
May 12th, 2011 5:52am

Hello, a DC should NEVER be used for applications and access from domain users. Keep in mind that you have to lower security and that the DC is the heart of your domain. Additional software can result in problems when you have to restore the DC from supported AD backup options. It may stop working. Also for other not Windows built-in backup solution you should use another machine. In your case with maximal 10 users?? in the domain, i suggest that you buy a Windows SBS version, as it has an additional license which you can use as member server in the domain and the user limit is 75. If you need a trust to another domain, this is NOT possible. SBS can be bought with predefined hardware for it's roles and a member server for RD should have a good performance with enough RAM so multiple user can work like on a workstation.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2011 6:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics