Health Rollups for Windows.localservice

I have a Classed based on the Microsoft.Windows.LocalService

what is the best way to roll up the health to the Windows Computer class?

July 25th, 2015 8:07am

Hi

Sorry to take a step back but is there a specific reason for creating a class for the service. I rarely see the need but do understand there may be genuine reasons. Ideally, I'd usually create an application class (based on local application) and then use a unit service monitor targeted at the class. Health will roll up automatically.

Dependency roll up monitors allow you to roll up health to windows computer if that is what you are looking to do.

Cheers

Graham

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 25th, 2015 8:19am

Thanks Graham for the quick response,

I want to show views and alerts for the Windows Computers in one state view and then a separate state view for the services, with a report that will go out every morning.

I did try the application based on local application, I did not get it to rollup to windows computer but it must be something I missed.

Thanks,

July 25th, 2015 8:37am

Microsoft.Windows.LocalService has base class of Microsoft.Windows.LocalApplication, and LocalApplication automatically rolls up to computer (there is a dependency relationship already defined there). There is nothing you'll need to specifically author to make your custom class rollup health to Windows Computer if your base is LocalService, because this behavior is inherited.

August 3rd, 2015 2:27am

that is what I did but it did not roll up

Classes I built

<ClassTypes>
        <ClassType ID="APP.Servers" Accessibility="Internal" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LocalApplication" Hosted="true" Singleton="false" />
        <ClassType ID="APP.Services" Accessibility="Internal" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LocalService" Hosted="true" Singleton="false">
          <Property ID="ServiceName" Type="string" Key="true" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="ServiceProcessName" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="DisplayName" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="Description" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
        </ClassType>

Discovery

Server Discovery

<Discovery ID="APP.Server.Discovery" Enabled="true" Target="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal">

Service Discovery

<Discovery ID="APP.Services.Discovery" Enabled="true" Target="APP.Servers" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal">

I don't have a relationship defined, and it did not rollup, that is why I asked the question is there something I did wrong this boggled me a bit.

this is the Model I want as I have about 30 Applications I want to do this with.
August 6th, 2015 2:41pm

Ok so it was on the windows computer class not the Local Application class

thanks that was true.

Thanks Jonathan.

August 6th, 2015 2:57pm

that is what I did but it did not roll up

Classes I built

<ClassTypes>
        <ClassType ID="APP.Servers" Accessibility="Internal" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LocalApplication" Hosted="true" Singleton="false" />
        <ClassType ID="APP.Services" Accessibility="Internal" Abstract="false" Base="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LocalService" Hosted="true" Singleton="false">
          <Property ID="ServiceName" Type="string" Key="true" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="ServiceProcessName" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="DisplayName" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
          <Property ID="Description" Type="string" Key="false" CaseSensitive="false" Length="256" MinLength="0" />
        </ClassType>

Discovery

Server Discovery

<Discovery ID="APP.Server.Discovery" Enabled="true" Target="Windows!Microsoft.Windows.Computer" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal">

Service Discovery

<Discovery ID="APP.Services.Discovery" Enabled="true" Target="APP.Servers" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal">

I don't have a relationship defined, and it did not rollup, that is why I asked the question is there something I did wrong this boggled me a bit.

this is the Model I want as I have about 30 Applications I want to do this with.
  • Edited by Werner.Deysel Thursday, August 06, 2015 6:42 PM updated extra
August 6th, 2015 6:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics