Having problems with disk partitions...
Hi Folks! I'm having some issues with disk Management on '08 Datacenter and could use some help. When I deployed this server I created a single 4TB RAID 6 array thinking (and wanting) to create one large volume as a single partition. Compaq's smart-start mentioned this was not/might not be possible and offered to create a small partition for the O/S (300 megs or so). I was OK with that thinking I'd then create another partition made up of the remaining 3.7TB and call it drive D: Once the O/S was installed I looked at the partitions and I see this; C: 300 megs (correct) An unallocated 1.7TB partition An unallocated 1.8TB partition. I can expand C: until it takes up the 1.7TB in the next partition to create a +/- 2TB C: drive or I can create a new partition out of the unallocated 1.7TB but what I can't seem to do, no matter what, is do anything with the last partition of 1.8TB. If I right click on that last partition I get no choices other then properties. My goal was this; C: (300 Gigs) D: (3.7TB) ie: two partitions. Instead I have 300, 1.7 and 1.8 and I can't do anything with the last 1.8. The server is a DL380 G7 and I'm running x64 '08 DataCenter. Can anyone shine some light on why I can change the first partition and the second but not the 3rd? Thanks in advance!
May 13th, 2011 6:14am

This is a very uncommon to have one large physical space for operating system and data. Usually there is one smaller RAID 1 disk for operating system and another ones are arranged into RAID 6 (or similar). FOR SPACE LARGER THAN 2TB YOU SHOULD USE GUID PARTITION TABLE (GPT), WHICH ALLOW YOU TO CREATE DISK WITH SPACE EXCEEDING 2TB. (Remember that you need one more physical disk for RAID 6 in comparison with RAID 5 requirements.) Smartstart has its iinternal logic and the decision is reasonable, because of you do not have separate space for OS.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 13th, 2011 8:16am

Thank you Milos - I'm going to look into GPT in short order :-) Any idea on why Windows won't allow me to do anything with the 3rd partition in Disk Management?
May 13th, 2011 2:09pm

Hi Dave I am afraid that your procedure is not correct. Take into account that OPERATING SYSTEM CANNOT SEE SPACE LARGER THAN 2TB CORRECTLY WITHOUT USING GPT. Or in other words: Have you ever jump without any tool over 100meters building? Certainly not and this is the case of large disk spaces. Do not try to jump, please :-) I would start from the scratch - define new physical RAID 6 and play with GPT. In disk manager right-click on the disk name (e.g. "Disk 1") and select "Convert to GPT Disk." Windows converts the disk to GPT Regards Milos PS: Disregard random division into two large but smaller than 2TB unallocated partitions.
May 13th, 2011 2:41pm

PS: Disregard random division into two large but smaller than 2TB unallocated partitions. That's the part I don't understand. If I take the second partition (1.7TB) and create a partition everything is fine, Windows sees it etc. That leaves me with the third partition (1.8TB) and I can't do anything with it. So I can have this; 1) 300GB 2) 1.7TB but the 3rd partition (1.8TB) is not accessible. Under the old 'rules' we could have 4 partitions and if the limiter is 2TB then why can't I work with the last partition? Don't mean to bug you but it's really got me curious because, as far as I can see, I should be able to work with all 3 provided each is under 2TB correct?
May 13th, 2011 4:16pm

I did some math on the existing partitions (the first two that Windows will allow me to work with) and this is what I found; The first two partitions, when added together, equal exactly 2048 gigs which would be spot on 2TB. I suspect the answer will be this; Start from scratch and create a 500 gig logical array for Windows and then create a 2.5TB (+/-) array for everything else. Hopefully, Windows will allow the second array to be any size and use GPT. Ideally (for me) I would get one single RAID 6 array for the O/S and everything else using GPT. I'll aim for that first. I did find out , as of August 2010) that Compaq has stated this; "At HP, we are always evaluating new server technologies, including UEFI. Currently, we believe that the best customer value for ProLiant servers is provided by continuing to use BIOS-based firmware. Going forward we will continue to evaluate and remain involved in the UEFI efforts so that we can determine when and where it may add customer value and provide development flexibility." However, Microsoft says this; Q. Is UEFI required for a GPT disk? A. No. GPT disks are self-identifying. All the information needed to interpret the partitioning scheme of a GPT disk is completely contained in structures in specified locations on the physical media. I guess that leaves me in a place of 'we'll see when we get there'. Thanks for the help Milos - it's appreciated :-)
May 13th, 2011 7:10pm

The machine is back up and running with two partitions so I just wanted to wrap this up for the sake of others who might run into the same issue. What it seems to boil down to is this - if the machine does not support UEFI then you can't BOOT off a partition larger then 2TB. You can still use GPT on other other partitions but a boot partition larger then 2TB won't work unless the machine has UEFI.
May 14th, 2011 8:53pm

Dave, 1. For better performace I would still recommend RAID 1 + RAID 6. Or have i missed something important in one RAID 6. 2. In the case I am not sure about available possibilities of configuration, I usually ask vendor to supply it. Regards Milos
May 15th, 2011 5:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics