Having issue discovering Hyper-V host when trying to add it into SCVMM2012

Hi All,

I just deployed SCVMM 2012 on a single server (All SCVMM components reside on the same server). I managed to add Hyper-V host into SCVMM but having a problem adding some of the hosts into SCVMM. When I chose to add "Windows Server computers or Windows Server failover clusters in an Active Directory domain that is trusted by the domain of the VMM management server" and typed the server name using Netbios name, FQDN, IP address,  it prompts the following error message:

I'm sure that the above requirements have been fullfilled. The target server is member of the domain and it's residing in the same OU together with all other servers that I managed to add into SCVMM. But somehow it still can find the server. I can lookup the server FQDN successfully, reverse lookup also works fine.

And i notice, if i query the discovery using AD and with wildcard * on the computer name, it will not give listing all the computer objects in the AD.

I read the following thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/thread/c82009c8-e4a4-44e2-ab75-b33bac9da6ec/ which has the same issue like what i'm facing right now, but the solution does not apply to me.

Can anyone helps on this? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

August 2nd, 2012 1:51pm

Hi All,

I just deployed SCVMM 2012 on a single server (All SCVMM components reside on the same server). I managed to add Hyper-V host into SCVMM but having a problem adding some of the hosts into SCVMM. When I chose to add "Windows Server computers or Windows Server failover clusters in an Active Directory domain that is trusted by the domain of the VMM management server" and typed the server name using Netbios name, FQDN, IP address,  it prompts the following error message:

There were no computers discovered based on your inputs.  Please verify the following:

-Your Virtual Machine Manager Server service account has at least read access to the Active Directory domain you requested to discover.
-Your Virtual Machine Manager Server has access to the computers in the discovery scope.
-The servers you specified are powered on and running.
-You specified valid credentials to access the servers.
-The user account that you specified has Administrator privileges on the windows servers to be discovered.

I'm sure that the above requirements have been fullfilled. The target server is member of the domain and it's residing in the same OU together with all other servers that I managed to add into SCVMM. But somehow it still can find the server. I can lookup the server FQDN successfully, reverse lookup also works fine.

And i notice, if i query the discovery using AD and with wildcard * on the computer name, it will not give listing all the computer objects in the AD.

I read the following thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/thread/c82009c8-e4a4-44e2-ab75-b33bac9da6ec/ which has the same issue like what i'm facing right now, but the solution does not apply to me.

Can anyone helps on this? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2012 1:54pm

Hi,

Could you install the VMM agent manually to your Hyper-v host and try the operation ?

Is the firewall ON or OFF ? 

Cheers,

August 3rd, 2012 11:40am

Hi David,

The firewall on the SCVMM server and the target servers are turned OFF.

I am actually having two issues related to the SCVMM2012 with different situation:

1. The SCVMM cannot discover the targeted server but i can install the VMM agent locally on the targeted server.
  2. The SCVMM can discover the targeted server but the VMM agent installation is always failed eventhough i tried to install the agent manually on the targeted server.

but i'm now more focused on getting the targeted servers discovered by the SCVMM2012 (issue #1) as there are quite a number of Hyper-V hosts that are not discovered by the SCVMM2012.

Cheers,

Jenny

August 3rd, 2012 11:45am

Hi David,

Just to clarify my previous statement for the issue #1. Eventhough i managed to install the VMM agent manually on the targeted server, i still can't add the Hyper-V host into the SCVMM since it's still cannot discover the server (even after the agent has been installed).

Unless there is another way to add the hyper-v host to the SCVMM without going through the discovery process. Is there any alternative ways?

Thanks,

Jenny

August 3rd, 2012 1:09pm

We had the same issue and it turned out to be DNS related.  With us it was because the hosts and/or the cluster resource had a different primary domain suffix than the domain itself.  So, for example, our domain is called FOO.CEB.COM but some of the hosts and the cluster resource were could BOO.CEB.COM.

SCVMM really does not seem to like disjointed namespaces!  To resolve the issue we forced the hosts and cluster resource to be FOO.CEB.COM and deleted all entries in the BOO.CEB.COM DNS Zone that refererred to the hosts and cluster resource.

After this, discovery worked perfectly.

Hope it helps

August 13th, 2012 9:21am

I think that your problem is not in SCVMM neither on hyper-v its DNS related issue.

Check the DNS for the IP address. Do nslookup and check the output. I suspect that you have a faulty DNS record.

August 13th, 2012 11:11am

I saw this issue when the cluster name was offline.  After bringing the cluster name and IP online and registering in DNS it worked.
February 19th, 2013 3:46am

Hi,

Did you find a solution to your issue ?

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by SteoF Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:45 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by SteoF Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:45 AM
January 20th, 2014 10:39am

Hi

For me problem was permissions on new Host to be added.

I gave scvmmadmin & scvmmsvc (2 network admin accounts i use for VMM2012) local admin on host server to be added to vmm2012 and also servername$ local admin rights too and i could add host successfully.

• Proposed as answer by SteoF Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Edited by SteoF Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:48 AM
January 29th, 2015 12:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics