Have to release and renew IP address to make DNS stub zone work
Hello all, I've created stube zone for my virtual internal network. It works for few hours to few days (working timeframe is random) and then it won't resolve stub zone client. I manually have to release and renew IP address on clients to make it work again. any ideas? Thanks,
January 5th, 2011 2:43am

Hi, If there is DHCP server in your system, you can simplye try to run "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to release and renew IP address on the clients. Hope it helps. ScorprioTechNet Software Assurance Managed Newsgroup MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin | System Architect
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 5th, 2011 3:34am

ipconfig /release and /renew command will release and renew IP address on computer that you ran the command on. it will not release and renew IP on remote computer. I have statis IP address on all of my server machines, so there is no point of running this command on static ip server. thanks for response though.
January 5th, 2011 4:00pm

Can you disable the DNS client service on the PCs having problems with the stub zone? That should keep them from caching IP/routing information.
January 5th, 2011 4:38pm

I think something is missing here. You may have something misconfigured or have designed this incorrectly. If you are using a stub zone and referencing host names for the NS records, those sytems that are hosting the primary zone should not be changing their IPs. It sounds like you are running primary DNS zones on computers that are DHCP enabled? If so, you should either use DHCP reserations, or better yet, configure them with static IP addresses. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
January 5th, 2011 6:35pm

My Network: I have two physical box. one is primary DC DNS for physical.local domain runs on 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. second is ESXi server runs virutal network called virtual.local on 10.10.10.0/24 subnet. virtual ISA 2006 firewall exists on ESXi between physical.local and virtual.local. routing is setup right, specific traffic is allowed through ISA 2006. primary DNS resolves virutal internal DNSs. All servers (physical and Virtual) have static IPs. problem still exist.
January 5th, 2011 9:13pm

What do you mean by “it won't resolve stub zone client”? Stub zone is a copy of a zone that contains only those resource records necessary to identify the authoritative Domain Name System (DNS) servers for that zone. What name are you trying to resolve? Please provide more information. Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ Articles - http://www.sivarajan.com/publications.html Twitter: @santhosh_sivara - http://twitter.com/santhosh_sivara This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 5th, 2011 9:52pm

I have stub zone on physical DC-DNS on physical.local domain for virtual.local domain. Stub zone on physical DC-DNS can resolve virtual name servers. I can resolve virtual server names by fully qualified names from physical.local domain but temporary for few minutes to few hours.
January 5th, 2011 10:05pm

Hi, Thank you for your post here. From the description, you have to release/renew the IP address of the clients in the virtual network until you can resolve the stub network clients from the physical network. Please collect the following information for investgation: 1. When the issue happens, can you resolve the names from the virtual network? Does the host(A) record exist on the virtual name server? 2. Can you verify whether the DNS request comes out from the physical DNS server? You can install the Network Monitor to check that.
January 5th, 2011 10:16pm

Miles, stub zone DNS resolution problem occurs from Physical to Virtual. When issue happens, I can resolve names from virtual to physical without any problem. I will try to look at the network monitor when it happens again. will post the results. thanks all for your prompt responses.
January 5th, 2011 10:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics