HTTP adapter vs WCF-based adapter
i have a requirement working with third party CRM system . Right now they are offering SOAP web service and saying HTTP adapter works, but I want to go for advanced technology like WCF based adapters. Which option is better? HTTP or WCF-based?? if it is WCF , what is the right WCF adapter to use. NOte: they are offering only SOAP.
July 18th, 2014 12:25am

Hi,

Off-course the WCF based option is better. And for your requirement you have to use WCF-BasicHttp adapter which is meant for ASMX-based Web services and clients that conform to the WS-I Basic Profile 1.1.

SOAP VS WCF-BasicHttp Adapter points from MSDN article:

• WCF adapters documents per second rate is general be better than SOAP adapter. 
  • SOAP adapter has the disadvantage of serializing and deserializing messages between .NET types and raw XML data which in some cases could result in unwanted data modification. WCF adapters take the approach of preserving the data stream. 
  • WCF adapters publish what is essentially the same schema as will be used in the BizTalk runtime. In contrast, SOAP adapter returns metadata generated by reflecting on the .NET classes generated to represent the schemas. Since .NET does not preserve all the nuances of XSD schemas, the exposed WSDL may not accurately reflect the schemas used by the BizTalk runtime. 
  • It is easier to migrate from WCF-BasicHttp to WCF-WSHttp if needed.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 18th, 2014 4:14am

Starting with BizTalk Server 2013, there is a WCF-WebHttp Adapter used for classic HTTP and REST. This Adapter makes the old HTTP Adapter deprecated and configuration, especially Receiving using IIS, easier.

Morten la Cour

July 18th, 2014 5:22am

WCF is always a better choice compared to SOAP adapter due to performance improvement . You can do following to consume asmx(SOAP service) with WCF.

1)Once we have created a BizTalk project you need to "Add Generated Items" and then select "Consume WCF Service"
2) select "Metadata Exchange (MEX) endpoin"t.
3)Enter the location of your asmx (SOAP ) Web Service and click on the "Get" button

Once the WSDL definition has been loaded, click the "Next" button to continue.Click Import to create your schemas and sample Orchestration

Thanks

Abhishek

July 18th, 2014 9:34am

Which option is better? HTTP or WCF-based??

Keep in mind, the question is irrelevant :).  The HTTP Adapter is no longer supported for new development.

You only option is WCF.   wsHttpBinding and basicHttpBinding are the SOAP based bindings.  You would use these with the WCF-Custom first class adapter in BizTalk.

July 18th, 2014 11:39am

Link to mentioned article

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246055.aspx

April 10th, 2015 4:37am

Link to Walkthrough

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246019.aspx

I didn't find the mentioned samples WCFAdapterWalkthroughs.exe. Very likely in early beta if available at all.

So ...

the samples in BT 2013 are terribly outdated. No WCF sample!

April 10th, 2015 4:43am

Link to Walkthrough

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246019.aspx

I didn't find the mentioned samples WCFAdapterWalkthroughs.exe. Very likely in early beta if available at all.

So ...

the samples in BT 2013 are terribly outdated. No WCF sample!

April 10th, 2015 8:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics