HP Printer is Unspecified Device

Installed Essentials RC, printer seen everything was fine.

Installed Essentials RTM, printer seen as unspecified device, no driver associated with it, can't get it to recognize the drivers; Printer is HP 1320

downloaded 64bit install program from HP but no USB Printer port is available for manual install

Will not let me update driver, says none is needed. Device is named correctly under unspecified but, of course, doesn't print

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

October 20th, 2012 11:49pm

So you are unable to install the x64 bit driver?

If you go to Control Panel, Hardware, Printers and Devices.

Click on the Icon for your printer, then on the menu bar, choose 'Print server Properties'

On the Drivers Tab you can then install a Driver..

Try that.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2012 11:31am

Robert

Thanks for the suggestion. Because WSE12 sees it as an unspecified device and not as a printer, print server properties does not appear.

I install (as a clean install) the RTM version over the RC version; the printer was working fine under RC but this problem has existed from the start with the . RTM. The device is identified as an "hp LaserJest 1320 series"'; the hardware is HP LaserJet 1320 series (DOT4USB)  that is "working properly"

The system says no driver is needed. If I try to update with HP 64bit drivers, it says drivers are up to date and refuses to update them.

Something got messed up with the re install. I trying to avoid starting all over again just to attach printer.

Thanks!

October 31st, 2012 2:20pm

Is it a USB printer or Network printeR?
October 31st, 2012 2:41pm

Connected by USB; shows on control panel as unspecified device

Thanks

November 1st, 2012 10:21am

Same problem. I tried to install the printer manually, but even if it is reported as working in the Control Panel, it does not print.
November 2nd, 2012 10:54am

MirkoT do you have the same type of printer?

I am just going to set one up here and check i

November 2nd, 2012 11:15am

Yes, HP LJ 1320.
 Also connected by USB.

• Edited by MirkoT Friday, November 02, 2012 11:36 AM
November 2nd, 2012 11:35am

Is it just a printer, or scanner also?

So just to confirm, you have an HP printer showing up as an Unspecified device.. and cannot print?

November 2nd, 2012 1:08pm

Yes, exactly.

It is a printer only, anyway, not a printer+scanner.

Thank you for your help!

November 2nd, 2012 2:21pm

OK, i have an HP LaserJet 3055 - and it is showing me the same symptoms when connected via USB.

will report back.

November 2nd, 2012 3:14pm

You need this driver first..

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3463669&swItem=fp-109468-1&prodNameId=3463670&swEnvOID=4132&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

Then you can choose to enable USB printer support -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/winserver8gen/thread/cbb18b4d-d632-4750-aef3-abc806f077b6

Which took me a while to find :)

Go to Control Panel, Devices & Printers.

Find your Unspecified device.

Go to properties, then hardware, select your printer and chose properties.

click change settings.

go to the drivers tab.

update driver.

browse.

let me pick.

choose USB printing support.

then complete the wizard.

Then i had to flip the driver over to Universal Print support - as in the other post i linked to.

November 2nd, 2012 4:24pm

Hi, Robert! I tried it and it worked! Everything is fine, now - even double-face printing. Thank you a lot for your help!
November 3rd, 2012 10:35am

Hi I am having the same issue and have followed your post to fix the unspecified issue. It works a treat but still won't print and I now need to flip to universal printing as per your previous post but can't find the instruction. Please help.
February 9th, 2014 2:52pm

I know this post is old, but I am unable to get this printer to work on 2012 R2. I am having the same issue and the above solutions are lacking in clarity. For example, How exactly do you enable USB Printer Support?

The link listed no longer functions.

If anyone has a clear and concise step by step resolution to get this printer to work on 2012 R2 it would be appreciated. Not a series of links that are broken or take me in a circle :)

Thanks.

April 2nd, 2015 7:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics