HIPAA Compliance & SQL Server Azure

I am looking for some information on Azure.

1. Is Azure SQL Database is covered under HIPAA compliance?
2. Will MS sign HIPAA BAA?
3. How feasible it is to store the databases of more than one HIPAA compliant applications on the same server ? Database is SQL. Does this violate HIPAA?
4. I am willing to host multiple client's DB on same server into separate instances, is it possible?
5. Do MS have SAN ?
6. How do MS separate the data of more than one HIPAA compliant app from each other ?

Please let me know the required information. Thanks.

February 7th, 2015 1:58am

Akshay, see http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/trust-center/compliance/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 7th, 2015 10:25am

Hi Akshay - disclaimer, I am not a lawyer and I am simply trying to help provide you with public information to better answer your questions.  From your questions and from reading the online HIPAA documentation, it would be best that you contact your Microsoft Account Manager as Microsoft currently offers the BAA to customers who have a Volume Licensing / Enterprise Agreement (EA).

Yes, please see the following [link][link][link]

Microsoft currently offers the BAA to customers who have a Volume Licensing / Enterprise Agreement (EA) [link]

3. How feasible it is to store the databases of more than one HIPAA compliant applications on the same server ? Database is SQL. Does this violate HIPAA?

Azure SQL Database as a cloud platform is HIPAA compliant.  In respect to the application that is built on top of SQL Database, this is a difficult question to answer in a forum as the response is completely contingent on the design and implementation of the application. Please see the following for more information [link].

4. I am willing to host multiple client's DB on same server into separate instances, is it possible?

Azure SQL Database provisions databases that are grouped under a logical server.  The databases, however, are likely not on the same physical server.

5. Do MS have SAN ?

I'm not positive what you're asking, can you please clarify?

6. How do MS separate the data of more than one HIPAA compliant app from each other ?

Same answer as questions 3

February 7th, 2015 11:01am

Hi Akshay - disclaimer, I am not a lawyer and I am simply trying to help provide you with public information to better answer your questions.  From your questions and from reading the online HIPAA documentation, it would be best that you contact your Microsoft Account Manager as Microsoft currently offers the BAA to customers who have a Volume Licensing / Enterprise Agreement (EA).

Microsoft currently offers the BAA to customers who have a Volume Licensing / Enterprise Agreement (EA) [link]

Azure SQL Database as a cloud platform is HIPAA compliant.  In respect to the application that is built on top of SQL Database, this is a difficult question to answer in a forum as the response is completely contingent on the design and implementation of the application. Please see the following for more information [link].

Azure SQL Database provisions databases that are grouped under a logical server.  The databases, however, are likely not on the same physical server.

5. Do MS have SAN ?

February 7th, 2015 6:59pm

5. Do MS have SAN ?

5. Do MS have SAN ?

5. Do MS have SAN ?

5. Do MS have SAN ?

5. Do MS have SAN ?

5. Do MS have SAN ?

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics