HELP! WINDOWS SERVER 2008 w/ Exchange 2007 updates have rendered server useless
Hello Folks,My company is upgrading our internal communication system and after almost complete with implementation, windows updates have eliminated all functionality. What happened:-Installed Windows Server 2008 and fully updated-Installled Microsoft Exchange 2007 SP1-Configured all User accounts and Settings mapped for internal networkI was remotely configuring the machine and rebooted the server to install Microsoft Live Communication Server. I waited several minutes (for theserver takes time to reboot) and noticed that I couldn't remotely connect anymore. I went to the machine and noticed that it was configuring updates 0% 0f 100% 3 of 3. I then left and came back an hour later and nothing had changed. Waited another hour and still no luck. Hard rebooted the server and same issue. Rebooted trying last known configuration (No luck). Rebooted using safe mode with networking and alas that allowed the configuration to go through. I thought I was home free. Restart the server and it loads into the OS but everything now hangs and I mean everything. Tried disabling all exchange services but to no avail. Networking won't work. Was going to reinstall updates but can't access the internet, yet I can ping out with no problem. I get a red X on the two cpu icon in the system tray. Completely lost and need help immediately. I have a ghost image before I installed exchange but exchangewas a beast to configure within our organization and don't want to go through that again! HELP
May 20th, 2009 4:32am

hello,Is it possible to to take server offline, roll back/uninstall Live communication server? Try that and let us know..Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2009 6:06am

hi there, I suspect there might be conflict between upgrade of the LCS server and windows update services. some of the threads might be misbehaving.In-line to isaac suggestino , please stop the LCS services, exchange and windows update services from Services console , set them as disable state and restart the server and check the behavior.sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
May 20th, 2009 10:08am

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,First tried automatic delay. Restart. Nothing. Then tried disabling those services. Still hanging on startup. Simply fed up and am just going to start over.I appreciate it fellows. Learning lesson. Always backup!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2009 8:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics