HELP! - W2K2003 - IIS does not browse Default Web Site after new server installation
Hello, I have built a new server with Win2K2003, installed SP1, and tried to browse the default IIS website (iistart.htm). Does not work! Right outta the box !I get this incorrect message (the default website has a default page!) Under Construction The site you are trying to view does not currently have a default page. It may be in the process of being upraded and configured. Please try this site again later. If you still experience the problem, try contacting the Web site administratorPlease Help !! This message does not match the problem, so Google is no help, just full of people trying to tell me to add a page name to the list of "documents", which I dont haveto do an the "Default Website" for IIS. PLEASE !Thanks, BJ
August 26th, 2008 11:14pm

Hi! Actually i believe this is quite normal behavior. As soon as you have no own sites at IIS or at default website, the IIS will show just that "Under Construction"-Page.The page that IIS uses is configured at the Default Web Site properties -> Home Directory and there "Local path". What are you actually trying to to do? Searchingthe"Administrative page" where you could make some configurations? When you look at the Internet Information Services Manager, do you have there"Default Web Site"AND "Administration"-sites? Or just the plain "Default Web Site"Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2008 11:10am

I have Default Website and Administration. Even If I install a new "Temp" website, with a virtual directory, I cannot browse it, I get the same message as I stated earlier. That certainly is not default behavior, hence my very big problem!
August 27th, 2008 3:34pm

Isn't the default default page named default.htm?
August 27th, 2008 7:54pm

Mr. Tripps, did you completely read my original post ?The answer to your question is....Yes.
August 27th, 2008 8:20pm

Allright, i'm still a little bit confused, but lets think few things.How Default Web site Work at IIS?When someone is connecting directly by server IP, IIS will direct that call to Default Web Site. Or if www.exampledomain.com points at the server, but there are no www.exampledomain.com web-site yet done, traffic will be directed to Default Web Site. That is the reason, why the iistart.htm contains text about "Under Construction".So, if there are nothing else than iistart.htm at the Default web site Local path, i believe that functioning is normal."c:\inetpub\wwwroot" is the default place for Default Website. Just to be curious, if you do a textfile, which contains line "This is a test" and save it by test.htm under the "c:\inetpub\wwwroot", will that work? You should be able to browse that file directly at the IIS Manager.Another thing to check...at 2003 Everything is prohibited, so if any page uses any extensions, those extensions should be marked Allowed at the "Web Service Extensions" at IIS manager. If you are using ASP.NET 2.0, you should make it allowed, for example :) Henry Eklf :: Just one random IT-guy more.
August 27th, 2008 8:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics