Guest won't start when usb isn't plugged in

Hi

I may be trying to do something that just isn't supported or maybe I'm just missing something simple. My host is running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and the guest is Server 2012R2 Standard

I have passed through two usb drives for backup purposes. The server only has one usb drive plugged in at any one time as the other is taken offsite. The drives are connected to a scsi controller in the guest settings.

When trying to start the guest it errors with an error and won't start until I go into the settings and remove the drive that isn't plugged in. This then requires me to reconnect the drive when they are swapped around.

Is there a setting to tell the guest to ignore missing drives on startup that I'm missing? 

April 23rd, 2015 10:01pm

Hi Stuart,

afaik there is no setting for this. Actually Hyper-V was not designed to have USB drives connected to the VM. 

As another solution, you could use the builtin Backup Software or Veeam Backup (there's a free version) directly from the Host.
Like that you can avoid having a USB disk connected to the VM.

Best Regards,
Jens

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2015 5:48pm

Stuart,

you can always script these things but I suggest make it a bit simpler. Have a disk dedicated for backup and copy that disk or contents to your USBs. This way your script will be much simpler and does not involve changing anything inside the VM. Consider robocopy for copying.

---
Jan

April 24th, 2015 6:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics