Group policy failing only on one system

I updated a firewall related GPO on a few servers and noticed the port wasn't configured on one of the servers even after rebooting.  I checked the other servers and the new settings were applied successfully.

There error message is pointing towards there being a replication error on a domain controller, but that makes no sense because only one system has this issue and they are all identical Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V machines on a Server 2008 AD domain.

There is network connectivity because I can log in with a new domain user profile and ping all of the domain controllers.

When I try to do gpupdate /force it fails on this server.  When I run the same command on other servers, the gpupdate completes successfully. 

I logged into a domain controller and verified that I could connect to all the other domain controllers and that was successful.

This makes me think the problem is on the client server and not any of the domain controllers, however this is what the error from gpupdate /force command says:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\domainname.com\SysVol\domainname.com\Policies\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following:

a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.

b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller

has not replicated to the current domain controller).

c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.

User Policy update has completed successfully.

==================================================================

I don't see any DFS client on the server (we are not using DFS anyway).

It is saying it cannot read policies on a domain controller, however every other system I checked seems to have no problem reading the same policies.

What could cause this problem on a single server?

• Edited by MyGposts Saturday, September 12, 2015 3:36 AM
September 12th, 2015 3:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics