Group Policy folder redirection, redirecting desktop into Documents?
I'm attempting to redirect users Desktops and Documents to a network drive via group policy. So far the redirection has been successful for the test users, however I've run into the desktop items being deleted permanently problem. I saw a solution that managed to change the location of the desktop into the documents folder, thus allowing items deleted from the desktop to go into the recycle bin, but I cannot figure out a way to replicate this via the GP settings. Is there a way? Thanks.
March 17th, 2011 8:48am

Hi, Please clarify the issue. If a user deletes a desktop item, you want the item goes to Recycle Bin first instead of removing the file immediately? Does the issue (desktop items being deleted immediately) occur on all the clients? What is the OS version of your clients? Please right click on Recycle Bin, choose Properties, make sure “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin, Remove files immediately when deleted” is not selected. If the issue occurs on all the clients, please make sure you have not defined the following group policy: Go to User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer Find the Do Not Move Deleted Files To The Recycle Bin entry. When a file or folder is deleted in Windows Explorer, a copy of the file or folder is placed in the Recycle Bin. If you enable this setting, files and folders that are deleted using Windows Explorer will not be placed in the Recycle Bin and will therefore be permanently deleted. Please check it on your side. If the issue persists, please gather the following file on a problematic client for research: gpresult/v > C:\policy.txt Please paste the result here. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 21st, 2011 11:27pm

Yes, I want the item to go to the recycle bin instead of being deleted immediately. This occurs on 7, but it does not work on XP. I checked the recycle bin properties on both 7 and XP and they are set correctly. The group policy setting is not defined. Here is the section of gpresult relating to the Folder Redirection. Folder Redirection ------------------ GPO: My Documents Redirect Setting: InstallationType: basic Grant Type: Not Exclusive Rights Move Type: Contents of Local Directory moved Policy Removal: Leave folder in existing location Redirecting Group: Everyone Redirected Path: \\stjstore\users\smayer\desktop GPO: My Documents Redirect Setting: InstallationType: basic Grant Type: Not Exclusive Rights Move Type: Contents of Local Directory moved Policy Removal: Leave folder in existing location Redirecting Group: Everyone Redirected Path: \\stjstore\userdocs\smayer\my documents\My Pictures GPO: My Documents Redirect Setting: InstallationType: basic Grant Type: Not Exclusive Rights Move Type: Contents of Local Directory moved Policy Removal: Leave folder in existing location Redirecting Group: Everyone Redirected Path: \\stjstore\users\smayer\my documents
March 29th, 2011 1:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics