Group Policy Management Console errors: The specified domain controller could not be contacted. This affects the following domain in the console.

Group Policy Management Console errors: The specified domain controller could not be contacted. This affects the following domain in the console.

this issue is not on the domain servers it's on the member servers, and the error is: A Local Error Has Occured.

Can someome give me some input on this as i have never seen this error before.

August 13th, 2010 1:40pm

is there a network connectivity issue between the member servers and the DC specified? can you ping the dc or map a drive to it? can you connect to a different dc in the console (change domain controller)?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 13th, 2010 1:55pm

there are no connectivity issues between the member server and the DC specified, i can ping the DC and map a drive to it.  i can not connect to a different DC in the sense of the GP.
August 13th, 2010 2:18pm

is that the only dc in your domain or can you not connect to a different dc in gpmc? can you remote or go to the dc and run gpmc?
August 13th, 2010 2:26pm

i have two DCs and i can't connect to either of them,
August 13th, 2010 2:36pm

i can remote into them
August 13th, 2010 2:38pm

can you connect to them with ad users and computers? can you log into a dc and look at the event logs? is the problem limited to gpmc? can you map a drive to the sysvol and see the group policy folders? have you run dcdiag on the dcs? can you use nslookup and resolve the dcs?

August 13th, 2010 2:42pm

Hello,

run the support tools to check that the domain/DCs are healthy:

dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt
netdiag /v >c:\netdiag.txt [from each DC, netdiag may work but isn't supported with Windows server 2008 and higher]
repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt (if more then one DC exists)
dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045)

As the output will become large, DON'T post them into the thread, please use Windows Sky Drive. Also the /e in dcdiag scans the complete forest, so better run it on COB.

August 16th, 2010 12:22pm

have you had an opportunity to try any of my suggestions?
August 16th, 2010 12:33pm

Hi Leon,

Can you locate remote domain controller?

nltest /dsgetdc: <remote domain name> /force

Network Connectivity
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961803.aspx

Brent Hu,

August 18th, 2010 7:22am

I resolved this exact issue for my self in the infinite web of NPS Configuarton problems  i was / am having.

My Remote Access managment would not confuser NPS unless i had ipv6 turned on the Terminal Server,. so i turned it on..  then.  "TermServer" could not contact the Domain controller to get / edit GPO.. .. (ping replied in ipv6 natively) , i turned off IPV6 on the NIC properties  and boom. !   i have GPO. ,

I then finished applying settings with . error- Ip6 is off. = we rolled back your configuratoin. - yup. i popped ipv6 on just for the application of config... worked.  (but could not reach the domain.local ) , so... i turned ipv6 off again.. and we have a good configuration of 'RAM'  rap, and cad, rds gateway, and NPS

August 21st, 2015 1:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics