Gray agents in OM 2012

I have a new Operations Manager 2012 SP1 environment that I am experiencing gray agents with.  OM 2012 is in Domain_A and the servers are in Domain_B.  There is a 2-way transitive Forest trust between the two domains.  The agents all show up in the console with a valid State (Healthy, Warning, etc) and the Agent and Windows OS show as Healthy...just gray

When I check Operations Manager>Agent Details>Agent Health State>AgentState from Health Service, my servers show have received their management packs, locally.  The Operations Manager event logs look surprisingly clean

Here is what I have tried...

1. created a new action account "Domain_B\action" in OM2012.  This account belongs to the local Administrators of all the agent servers in question.  I was not able to add the "Domain_A\action" account to the local Administrators for some reason. 

2. I rebuilt the Health Service State folder on both the agents and the management server

3. OM2012 is set to automatically accept new agents without need for approval so there is nothing in Pending Management.

4. in the Run As account profile, at least a couple of my servers are set to use the Domain_B\action account.  When I check the OM 2012 control panel, I can see that this action account was pushed down to the agent from the RMS.

At this point, I am not sure what else to try, short of opening up a Premier case for assistance.

February 26th, 2013 2:43am

Hi,

Have you read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2288515  ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 26th, 2013 3:31am

Hi Ok, just try this: 1) Uninstall the Agent from your Server whcih you want to monitor 2) Install the Agent on the Server from the SCOM Console and use local System as your Agent Action Account. 3) Go to your Server and restart the Health Service at the same time watch your Operations Manager Event log on the Server you installed the Agent. Do you see any Event ids? If yes which one? Here just a Problem which I see growing, maybe check if this is also the case in your Environment http://blog.scomfaq.ch/2012/12/09/scom-2012-event-id-20070-agent-across-slow-wan-links/ Cheers, Stefan
February 26th, 2013 6:26am

Hello,

Go through this article, it will help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2288515?wa=wsignin1.0

May 8th, 2015 4:23am

Hello,

Causes of a gray state: An agent, a management server, or a gateway may become unavailable for any of the following reasons:

• Heartbeat failure
  • Invalid configuration
  • System workflows failure
  • OpsMgr Database or data warehouse performance issues
  • RMS or primary MS or gateway performance issues
  • Network or authentication issues
  • Health service issues (service is not running)

May 8th, 2015 6:22am

Hi,

If you locate the following specific events, follow these guidelines:

Events 1102 and 1103: These events indicate that some of the workflows failed to load. If these are the core system workflows, these events could cause the issue. In this case, focus on resolving these events.

Events 1104, 1105, 1106, 1107, and 1108: These events may cause Events 1102 and 1103 to occur. Ttypically, this would occur because of misconfigured "Run as" accounts. In OpsMgr R2, this typically occurs because the "Run as" accounts are configured to be used with the wrong class or are not configured to be distributed to the agent.

May 8th, 2015 6:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics