Graphics will not render (SSRS)

Hi,

Wonder if I could get some advice on a problem with rendering images.
I think this boils down to an internet explorer compatibility problem.

So, I have developed some reports on SQL Server 2014 SSRS including some Data Bars and Sparklines. The solution files are stored on the server which is Windows Server 2012R2. By default this server runs IE11. The development environment is Visual Studio 2012 (had to install this as SQL 2014 did not arrive with BI tools SSDT)

Just to let you know the default IE version running across local network is IE9. Apparently this can't be upgraded because of a number of application compatibility problems.

When I debug the report locally the images render fine under IE9, but when I deploy the reports to report server and then run from there I get image icons appearing instead of the images themselves. Now, I can click F12 to view the web options; it shows IE9 (compatibility view) and Document Mode = Quirks. No matter which combination I apply, for example IE9  view & Doc Mode = IE9 Standards, I still cannot render the images correctly.

I have heard that you cannot downgrade Windows Server 2012R2 from IE11 to IE9 as it is released with IE11 as standard.

Has anyone encountered this problem, even if running SQL 2012, and is there perhaps a simple workaround that I may have missed?

By the way, I should add, the "images" that are not appearing are sparklines and databars graphics. The database embedded images I am calling via a query dataset are rendering ok.

August 31st, 2015 10:44am

Hi SQL_247365,

You can try disabling Image Consolidation. I have seen in the past where this would help make the sparklines\databars appear.

Edit the RSReportServer.config and add this setting.

<Extension Name="HTML4.0" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.Rendering.HtmlRenderer.Html40RenderingExtension,Microsoft.ReportingServices.HtmlRendering" Visible="false">
  <Configuration>
    <DeviceInfo>
      <ImageConsolidation>False</ImageConsolidation>
    </DeviceInfo>
  </Configuration>
</Extension>

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 31st, 2015 3:38pm

Hi,

I also had the same scenario almost and found a solution that is very weird.

Try restarting the reporting services.

-------------------------------------------------

Go to Run

Enter command services.msc

Locate SQL Server Reporting Services

Right click and Restart the service

-------------------------------------------------

Hope this would help.

Thanks

August 31st, 2015 9:04pm

Hi, 

According to your description, the sparklines and databars graphics cannot be rendered in IE 9 browser, right? 

In Reporting Services, since we deployed the report to report server, we can visit report server by browser. If we open the Report Manager in different browser version, Reporting Services will automatically call corresponding extension to render the report. 

In our local environment, we have tested this scenario and the report works properly. In you scenario, is this issue only occurred in IE 9? Have you tested it in other browser (like Chrome or Firefox)? If possible, please post the images about your issue or error message. 

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Shrek Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 2:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics