Graphics use in disconnected RDP Session
I have a windows 2008R2 server which at all times has multiple users logged into the system (logged in via RDP, then disconnected, not logged off). Each of these users runs about 40 - 50 gui applications; so across 5 users, we are talking about 250 gui applications running. In most cases there is no one connected to any of the RDP sessions and viewing any of the screens, the server simply runs and we leave it alone. I know that this application should probably run as a service but due to it's nature, it cannot at the moment. I believe that most of the cpu resources being used might be coming from rendering the graphics (charts, etc) and not the actual application. We currently do not have a GPU in any of the servers. Does anyone know if during a disconnected RDP session, these processes are still using a lot of cpu power to render the graphics of the application? Do you know of any performance application which can graph processing performance vs what the CPU is using to render graphics? Do you think adding a video card would help lower my CPU utilization by offloading some of the graphics rendering, even though this is a disconnected RDP session?
December 11th, 2012 5:18pm

---Does anyone know if during a disconnected RDP session, these processes are still using a lot of cpu power to render the graphics of the application? Yes, these applications with GUI still use CPU resource but should be lower than when a user is connected. ---Do you know of any performance application which can graph processing performance vs what the CPU is using to render graphics? ---Do you think adding a video card would help lower my CPU utilization by offloading some of the graphics rendering, even though this is a disconnected RDP session? Adding a graphic card to remote server will to some extent improve the graphic quality but I dont think it will help reduce the CPU workload. You may conduct a test yourself and see how it goes. Take a look at this: Terminal Services - Graphics cards http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/6f0d0aaf-7525-471b-aee6-e0e1a01ce36c Windows Server 2008 R2: RDP Graphics card usage on the remote server http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/winserverTS/thread/0ab65c49-79f4-4f91-8f4c-cbc9b548cd5d
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2012 10:38pm

---Does anyone know if during a disconnected RDP session, these processes are still using a lot of cpu power to render the graphics of the application? Yes, these applications with GUI still use CPU resource but should be lower than when a user is connected. ---Do you know of any performance application which can graph processing performance vs what the CPU is using to render graphics? ---Do you think adding a video card would help lower my CPU utilization by offloading some of the graphics rendering, even though this is a disconnected RDP session? Adding a graphic card to remote server will to some extent improve the graphic quality but I dont think it will help reduce the CPU workload. You may conduct a test yourself and see how it goes. Take a look at this: Terminal Services - Graphics cards http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/6f0d0aaf-7525-471b-aee6-e0e1a01ce36c Windows Server 2008 R2: RDP Graphics card usage on the remote server http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/winserverTS/thread/0ab65c49-79f4-4f91-8f4c-cbc9b548cd5d
December 12th, 2012 6:24am

Hi, Everytime a user logs onto a server via RDP a new set of DLLs is loaded into memory. Unfortunately these are not 'unloaded' upon the closure of another RDP session, instead when a user logs in again, another set of DLLs is loaded. I think that running these applications as a service would be your best way forward. Regards,Kind regards, Kev
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 12th, 2012 8:31am

Hi, Everytime a user logs onto a server via RDP a new set of DLLs is loaded into memory. Unfortunately these are not 'unloaded' upon the closure of another RDP session, instead when a user logs in again, another set of DLLs is loaded. I think that running these applications as a service would be your best way forward. Regards,Kind regards, Kev
December 12th, 2012 4:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics