Granting access to Security Event Log, Windows 2008 Standard vs. Windows 2008 R2
Hi I configured my Windows 2008 R2 machine the following way: - Created a new non-privileged user - Added this new user to "event log readers" group. - Granted the user access to the Security Event Log (wevtutil gl security) or sddl in the registry as with Windows 2003 Server. That all did the job, I can read the event logs including the descriptions. Now I configured a second machine the same way, but this machine is a Windows 2008 Standard Enterprise server. The difference: On this machine my newly created user can read all the logs, but not the security event log descriptions: As you see it sais "The description for Event ID...". This happens for every event. When I add this user to the "Administrators" group and also disable UAC I can read all the logs: So what's the point? The settings allow me to see everything on the Windows 2008 R2 machine, but on the 'Standard' one it does not suffice to get the actual message text? Did I miss something? Kind regards Rafael
March 12th, 2012 6:08am

Hi Rafael, Have you enabled auditing for security events on Windows 2008? We need enable security auditing at local group policy under the following path. Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\ In order to return a more detailed list of security-auditing event, please run the following command: Wevtutil gp Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing /ge /gm:true For detailed information about Security Auditing, please refer to the following articles: Advanced Security Auditing in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/advanced-security-auditing-in-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx Description of security events in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947226 Best Regards, AidenAiden Cao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2012 4:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics