Good guides for reconfiguring domains?
I currently have a w2k3 domain (single domain, single forest, w2k3 domain and forest functional level), with exchange 2003. We are looking at adding another domain (not a child) under the same forest using 2k8 for dc and adding an exchange 2k7 box We will have users in the new domain using email. Once they are up and running, we will upgrade the exchange 2k3 server in the first domain to exchange k7. Looking to see if anyone has experience with this. What's the gotcha's and the "look out for's". Anyone know of any good guides that may help with this? I am in the process of doing this in a lab environment. We have the first domain up and running with exchange. We have created the second but can't get the two domains to communicate or maybe they are not suppose to the way I am thinking. DNS seems to be configured correctly. Each domain knows the other is there, just no access to see or manage the containers of each other. The trusts are fine also. mcp
September 9th, 2009 6:12pm

Hello, You can only have one top level domain in a forest, and there after, if you need to add another domain it will have to be a child domain. For example if you domain is abc.com, this is a single forest, single domain environment and you have have as many domain controllers as you wish, if you need to add another domain in this forest, then it will be child.abc.com and your environment becomes a single forest, multi-domain environment. You mentioned you already have two separate domains up and running in your lab and you need the two of them to communicate. I am assuming you have two separate domains in two separate forests, such as abc.com and xyz.com. If this is the case, then you will need to create a trust relationship for them to be able to communicate with each other. Can you please describe your current setup so we can assist better..I mean outline your domain/forest setup etc..Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2009 7:49pm

Hello,you have created a new domain tree in your forest, if i understand you correct, check if you followed this way:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733006(WS.10).aspxhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785191(WS.10).aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 10th, 2009 3:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics