Global Policy did not work
Hi, I'd written a vbs that will capture users login, logout and shutdown time to a text file. The text file is located in a shared folder of a domain controller with authorized user R&W rights. I'd put the script to a user profile login script, global policy - user login, logout and shutdown script respectively. After I checked the text file, only login times were captured. I then removed the GP login script and the text file could also capture the login times (only). Could anyone help me to solve this problem? Thanks very much.
September 15th, 2009 6:46am

Hi Ultraman, According to your description, as you only capture the login time in your txt file, it seems that your GP scripts didnt run for user login, logout and shutdown. The login times might be generated by your user profile login script. To verify your user login, logoff and shutdown script group policy were applied, please check the following items: 1. Ensure the user login, logoff group policy are linked to a User OU. 2. Ensure the shutdown script is linked to a computer OU. 3. Verify that the all above scripts are point to a network shared path in group policy configuration. eg: \\servername\\shares\scipt.vbs \\domain.com\policies\{GUID...}\User\script\logoff\script.vbs (You can click show file button in group policys logoff setting page to retrieve this path) 4. Run rsop.msc on the problematic clients and verify the above group policies setting are applied correctly. 5. Then perform login / logoff and shutdown action again. Do you capture the time on the txt file? In addition, you may also run these script manually on the client to exclude script itself and network issue. Best Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2009 12:38pm

Hi Wilson, Thanks for your reply. Is it any chance that my GPO links only to users and work. Or maybe just link it to domain controller or domain level. It is because there is no OU set in my environment. If I create a new OU, I'm afraid it will turn some setting failed. Regards, Fred
September 15th, 2009 12:53pm

Hi Ultraman,Thanks for your response.If the GPO links to the domain level, it will apply both COMPUTER configuration and USER configuration to all user objects / computer objects in the domain. Normally we do not recommend this deployment.If the GPO links to the Domain Controller OU (default domain controllers policy), it will only apply COMPUTER configuration to all the Domain Controller as it's a computer object OU.You can run "rsop.msc" on the client computer to verify how these GPOs applied.Best Regards,Wilson Jia. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 15th, 2009 2:38pm

Hi Wilson, I've linked the GPO to the domain - User "login & logout" and domain controller - computer "startup & shutdown". It works just what I expect it to. Thanks for your info. Regards, Fred
September 16th, 2009 12:22pm

Hi Ultraman,You are welcome, Iam glad that you've solved the your issue.Again, thank you for posting here.Have a nice day.Wilson Jia.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 17th, 2009 5:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics