Global Name-Zones
Hi, what do clients need for using globalName-Zones? Should they have a winds-entry pointing to the 2008-Server with globalName-Zones? Thanxs Andy
December 5th, 2007 5:19pm

Andy, A GlobalName zone is used to allow static single-label name resolution to your environment. Let's say you have the following environment. Client - client FQDN - client.corp.com Server - web1 FQDN - web1.it.corp.com You want to be able on your client to just type http://web1 and have it resolve for your clients. By creating a GlobalNames zone you will be adding a CNAME record to point web1 to web1.it.corp.com and be able to transition away from WINS doing this static single-label name resolution. Again this is just a basic example because you could have also added DNS suffixes to your client for it.corp.com, but I just wanted to give you a basic example. One thing that I have read is if you go to an IPv6 environment you will no longer be able to use WINS and will be required to use DNS. So if you needa single-label name resolution you will have to use GlobalNames. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Windows+2008+DNS+GlobalNames and open the first link to the Microsoft Document on GlobalName zones. I hope this helps...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 27th, 2008 5:45pm

The answers to your questions are as follows: 1) you need a server operating Windows Server 2008, a client machine, and the DNS and Global Names Zones roles installed on the server 2) No, you do not need WINS, as the Global Names Zone is a replacement for WINS. Hopefully this answers your technical question better than an explanation of what the GNZ does, which was completely irrelevant to your inquery. And before anyone makes a stupid comment about the post has been dead for 4 years, it's still a valid question on Microsoft's most 'current' Operating system, so don't make any retarded flames.
April 25th, 2011 9:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics