Give users permission to install fonts under Windows 7

I want to give non-admin users permission to install fonts in Windows 7. Ive tried giving permission to the fonts folder and fontcache.dat file as seen in the policy below, but it is not working.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-John

File System hideC:\WINDOWS\FONTS hide
Winning GPOStudentsInstallFonts
Configure this file or folder then: Propagate inheritable permissions to all subfolders and files
Owner
Permissions
TypeNamePermissionApply To
AllowCREATOR OWNERFull ControlSubfolders and files only
AllowNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMFull ControlThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowBUILTIN\AdministratorsFull ControlThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowEXP\studentsModifyThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowBUILTIN\UsersRead and ExecuteThis folder, subfolders and files
Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objectsDisabled
Auditing
No auditing specifiedC:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FNTCACHE.DAT hide
Winning GPOStudentsInstallFonts
Configure this file or folder then: Propagate inheritable permissions to all subfolders and files
Owner
Permissions
TypeNamePermissionApply To
AllowCREATOR OWNERFull ControlSubfolders and files only
AllowNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMFull ControlThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowBUILTIN\AdministratorsFull ControlThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowEXP\studentsModifyThis folder, subfolders and files
AllowBUILTIN\UsersRead and ExecuteThis folder, subfolders and files
Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objectsDisabled
April 15th, 2010 5:17pm

Hi,

it seems like there is no official and easy way to do this. Apparently, you have to be local administrator to do that. Have you seen the following discussion on this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/9a0938f5-9851-48bd-bbe8-8078647b6fd2

hope that helps,
Gunter

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 15th, 2010 8:09pm

Thanks for that link Gunther, not the answer I want but helpful.

Best, John

April 15th, 2010 8:34pm

Hi,

there is currently another discussion with the same topic:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/thread/fc178004-d0b0-40c3-b41a-da8129c8d3ef

hope that helps.

Gunter

April 16th, 2010 10:51am

Please try the following suggestions:

How To Install Fonts in Windows Without Administrator Power
http://www.dailygyan.com/2008/05/how-to-install-fonts-in-windows-without.html 

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thanks.

April 20th, 2010 10:15am

I managed to get this working in XP by giving everyone write access to the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts - not sure if this works in Windows 7 though.
April 20th, 2010 3:03pm

Thanks all I think weve got this figured out. We are testing now and ill post our solution once proven.

Cheers-John

April 20th, 2010 3:49pm

Using what I read in other threads I figured out this solution and tested it working today on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Let me know if it helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log on as administrator. Open command prompt as admin.

attrib -r -s %systemroot%\fonts

takeown /f "%systemroot%\fonts" /r /d n

(optional - gives administrators full rights on the fonts folder):  icacls "%systemroot%\fonts" /grant administrators:F /t

You can now add or change permissions on the Fonts folder like any regular folder.

Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\Fonts

icacls "%systemroot%\fonts" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat

icacls "%systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

Give user(s) modify access to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Fonts
  • Proposed as answer by BelushiLomax Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:22 AM
May 13th, 2010 5:25pm

This seems to work with TrueType Fonts, but not with Type 1 Fonts.  It will say they're invalid if I try to install them as a user, but they will install as an administrator.
May 26th, 2010 4:52pm

I suppose you don't have UAC on?
December 2nd, 2010 10:28am

No this does not work with uac. I've only found 1 solution to use UAC and admin rights. I've done alot of searching and I don't think anyone has been able to get both.

First you need a 3rd party Font installer/viewer AMP Font viewer is good its free infact its better than what windows has http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php

Once installed right click the short cut and then click left compatibility and select run as administrator.  

Second you need to use script logic privilege authority. http://www.scriptlogic.com/ I use this program a lot to give basic users rights to certain .exe or folder paths. It uses GPO so it can push its policy right away to many machines its awesome. A good example is I allow users with this program to update adobe reader and Java since I can give them admin rights to those 2 things and NOT the whole machine.

In privilege authority you create a policy to give admins rights to the AMP .exe.

Now they can open the program it will run as admin and I have given them rights to do so. This allows them not to have full admin rights to the whole PC and it allows that 1 program to install fonts even with uac enbled.

December 7th, 2010 10:41pm

@tacktick This basically worked, but after completing your steps, you cannot install fonts by copying them to c:\windows\fonts. To remedy this, run this command at the end:

attrib +s %systemroot%\fonts

@h0dg3s, I'm also only able to get this working with TTF/OTF fonts. Type 1 fonts (.PFM,.PFB) are only able to be installed by a user with admin rights. Annoying, but since most of my font install requests are from users with .TTF's, this still saves me some headaches.

My complete steps are as follows:

Run this first:

attrib -r -s %systemroot%\fonts

Now, go into the security tab for C:\Windows\Fonts

Grant <DOMAIN>\administrator: Full control
Grant everyone: r/w & modify permissions

Go into security tab for C:\Windows\system32\FNTCACHE.dat

Grant <DOMAIN>\administrator: Full control
Grant everyone: r/w & modify permissions

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Fonts
On that folder, right click > Permissions
Grant everyone: full control

Finally, run this to reenable installing fonts by copying to C:\Windows\Fonts

attrib +s %systemroot%\fonts

December 29th, 2010 3:39am

This is a good solution but without using UAC. If you want UAC to be enabled then there you have to play with other software to replace fontview.exe because using ACT and modifying shim database doesn't help.

Here are the screenshots:  http://tompopov.blogspot.com/2011/05/allowing-non-admin-users-to-install.html

May 17th, 2011 2:03pm

Billy- would you mind filling me in on how hard it was for you to accomplish the Adobe reader and java update access? Any tips to make the process easier? This is something I've wanted to do for quite a while, would appreciate your advice.
June 4th, 2012 6:32pm

This works.

Apparently it is not possible to set the rights on the fonts folder through GPO. This was possible under WXP.

November 5th, 2013 1:47pm

> Apparently it is not possible to set the rights on the fonts folder > through GPO. This was possible under WXP.   That's true, because beginning with Vista, the Trusted Installer owns the Fonts folder, not SYSTEM. This results in GPO being unable to change ACLs.  
November 5th, 2013 3:11pm

I tried a few other methods without success but this worked for me and took two minutes. Thx 
June 6th, 2014 1:58pm

why is this marked as answer? However, its not a full solution to the question. I tried it with Windows 7 and still fonts cannot be installed.
July 8th, 2014 7:13am

Any updates. Still looking for a solution that works. Is there a font manager that can do this?
August 21st, 2014 6:11pm

If you use SCCM I have created a solution

http://fritschetom.blogspot.com/2014/11/configmgr-install-fonts-as-application.html

November 26th, 2014 4:03pm

Maybe this has already been addressed with all the abbreviations and short-cut speak, so I will not use any of that and simply give you the information I've learned will work for Windows 7 Professional Home edition.

Administrator accounts are obviously, NOT full administrator accounts anymore (I think I read it was after XP that they enabled the rotten and quite annoying UAC <-- that one, I know. ;) ), and in order to get it working the way you need to when accomplishing tasks, you have to do something that will globally elevate the account.  This elevation will then grant global rights to modify as needed.

Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management

Once this comes up, a list will appear in the left pane.  Click on Local Users and Groups, and then USERS in the middle pane.  Once you see Administrators, right-click it and choose Properties.  If this is the first time you're seeing it, chances are "Account is disabled" will still be checked.  UNCHECK THAT.  (It's also where you can grant these permissions to all the other accounts the administrator has in his or other groups.)

NOTE:  This will leave your system vulnerable to malicious files that you may not catch UPON INSTALLATION.  I downloaded from a trusted source last Thanksgiving and missed unchecking the EULA box and ended up with malware I had a heck of a time getting rid of, so you need to be EXTRA CAREFUL when unchecking this option.

However, once you do, you will then have FULL and REAL administrative rights over all file modifications, and yes, you'll be able to install fonts into your System Font folder.  I don't know, however, about anything other than TTF.

HTH and good-luck. :)

Opus

May 15th, 2015 7:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics