Ghost VM resources under failover cluster manager roles

Hello, everyone,

I had a Windows 2012 R2 hyper-v host with few VMs running on it. I deployed a second host, and using SC VMM created a failover cluster. Also I added a shared cluster volume and migrated all VMs to the shared storage using SC VMM console. In the process I also checked the checkbox to make the VM highly available. Everithyng worked fine.

Now when I look in to Failover Cluster Manager console I see some "ghost" vm roles. Their names are correspondend to the names of the running VMs, which I also can see in the console. For example I have vm HDCADC01, there is another role in the console "SCVMM HDCADC01 Resources", the status  is off, settings are empty.

Does anyone knows what are these resources? Is it somekind of glitch during the migration? Is it safe to remove them?

Thank you,

Jamal.

March 3rd, 2014 12:39pm

Hi,

please update the vm configuration:

Get-VM "VMname" | Update-ClusterVirtualMachineConfiguration

Then refresh the Cluster mmc console. Does the error still persist?

Hope that helps

Regards

Sebastian

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 3rd, 2014 12:50pm

This is a bug, and you will see similar behavior when migrating between clusters.

You should have duplicate VM names within failover cluster manager, and the duplicate should be offline. Is that correct? If so, you can safely remove the roles from failover cluster manager.

-kn

March 4th, 2014 3:01am

Yep has exactly the same issue, and raised it with Microsoft, it is a bug, and the ghost roles can be safely deleted.

regards

Mark

March 4th, 2014 4:10am

Yep has exactly the same issue, and raised it with Microsoft, it is a bug, and the ghost roles can be safely deleted.

regards

Mark

March 4th, 2014 12:07pm

regards

Mark

regards

Mark

Where should I run this command?

On my VMM server Update-clustervirtualmachineconfiguration command complains that The cluster services is not running.

On the one of hyper-v server, cluster nodes, "get-vm -name  hdcadc01" returns "Get-VM : A parameter is invalid. Hyper-V was unable to find a virtual machine with name hdcadc01". The same result is when I used "ghost" resources name.

March 4th, 2014 6:04pm

Yep,

Start carefully deleteing them and testing the functionality of remaing VMs. Everything seems normal. Thank you all for response.

March 4th, 2014 6:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics